Rutgers softball stumbles in Bubly Invitational

Though senior catcher Katie Wingert played well in the Bubly Invitational, the Rutgers softball team ultimately dropped 4 out of 5 games. – Photo by Steve Hockstein / ScarletKnights.com

The Rutgers softball team was tripped up at the Bubly Invitational series, losing 4 of 5 games in Gainesville, Florida. The Scarlet Knights (17-8, 0-0) lost the last four games of the series after earning a victory in the weekend opener.

Rutgers started the series with a win against Mercer on Friday morning. The Bears (7-18, 0-0) were unable to pick up runs toward the end of the game, which resulted in the Knights earning a 6-3 win. 

Mercer began the game with a 1-run lead. Shortly after, Rutgers was able to tie the game after freshman pitcher Ryann Orange crossed home plate off senior center Katie Wingert’s single to center field.

Senior infielder Payton Lincavage led the Knights with 2 runs scored. She also homered down the left-field line during the sixth inning to end the game for Rutgers on a high note.

Junior pitcher/outfielder Morgan Smith and senior pitcher Ashley Hitchcock split time in the pitching circle. Hitchcock improved her win-loss record to a perfect 6-0 and allowed no runs during the game’s last innings.

Following their win, the Knights met up with Louisiana. Rutgers failed to bring home any runs, which gave the Ragin’ Cajuns (18-9, 0-0) a 3-0 shutout victory.

Previously ranked No. 24, Louisiana scored 2 of its 3 runs in the first inning. The Knights concluded the game with only three hits. The Ragin’ Cajuns were able to shut Rutgers down as it left seven runners on base.

The Knights were also unable to grab a victory against the Bears in their rematch on Saturday. Despite Rutgers being in the lead for the first inning, Mercer was able to make a comeback in its 3-2 narrow win.

Smith started the game off, homering over the center field wall and driving herself and Orange home for 2 runs.

Freshman pitcher Raimy Gamsby was inside the circle for 4.1 innings. The pitcher struck out six players and allowed all 3 runs to be scored. Graduate student pitcher Jaden Vickers served for the remainder of the game in relief, adding no additional runs.

The Knights struggled again in the runs batted in (RBI) department in their Saturday afternoon rematch against Louisiana, as Rutgers was shut out for only two hits.

Smith struggled in this outing as she allowed 4 earned runs, surrendered five hits and three walks.

Junior outfielder Leilani Chavez and senior outfielder Taylor Fawcett had the only hits for the Knights.

Sophomore pitcher Georgia Ingle threw for three innings following Smith, only giving up two hits and a single run. But by then, the damage was done as Rutgers was shut out for the second time during the weekend.

Finishing the series on Sunday, the Knights met with series host Florida and only scored once the whole game, losing 10-1 against the Gators (19-4, 0-0). 

Wingert crossed the plate for the team’s only run off Ingle’s RBI groundout. Although Rutgers was only down by 2 runs in the second inning, No. 8/10 Florida was quickly able to defeat the Knights after totaling 7 runs within two innings. The game only lasted five innings, and Rutgers totaled no hits and committed three errors in a day of offensive and defensive blunders.

The Knights will meet with UCF in Orlando, Florida, on Tuesday. Later in the week, Rutgers will be the hosts of its next tournament this weekend at the Rutgers Softball Complex on Livingston campus for the Rutgers Tournament.

The Knights will face Saint Peter’s, Iona and Holy Cross. Rutgers being able to play on its home field will hopefully boost its chances of having a successful weekend before its Big Ten schedule begins.

The Knights and Peacocks (12-3, 0-0) will start play at 1:30 p.m. on Friday afternoon. All games played in this tournament can be broadcasted on Big Ten+ throughout the weekend.

For more updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.