DIAZ: Generation Z introduces new age of social media spirituality

Column: In The Know With Abby

Crystals, manifestation and journaling are self-care methods that Generation Z has largely adopted due to their popularization through social media. – Photo by Dan Ferrell / Unsplash

One aspect that defines Generation Z is that it was primarily raised with technology as a constant aspect of its environment, including iPhones and the internet. This has given a majority of the Rutgers student body, especially the incoming first-years, a sense of connectivity to new ideas and virtual communities.

But on the other hand, this has resulted in a dissociation from being present in the physical world. This disconnect has brought ruthless social media trends, such as cancel culture, filters promoting false ideals of beauty and a new strain of anxiety.

Ironically, Generation Z sometimes combats these issues with more technology, such as turning to online research on the negative effects of social media. But since the pandemic, Generation Z has also utilized social media for soul searching, finding inner peace and restoring its connection to the physical world in an intriguing way.

One would imagine going cold turkey and not using technology, especially social media, would be the trick. But on TikTok and Instagram, the push for a 2023 Spiritual Awakening makes its presence known.

Amongst the stress of finals, modern-day dating, job searching and polarization in the media, how can Generation Z find its own sense of peace?

Interestingly enough, social media is showing them a new way of living happily. Now more than ever, there is a flood of influencers and micro-influencers promoting lifestyles, such as tiny living and van life, where people travel the U.S. and work remotely, serving as a major inspiration to Generation Z today.

It is not that those in Generation Z do not appreciate the traditional ideals of living that have helped guide their parents. But this generation yearns to forge a new path that does not perpetuate the historical cycle of being owned by corporations and overly capitalist systems. Generation Z sees something that has not been seen before.

A study conducted in 2022 said that within Generation Z, 70 percent say "their mental health needs the most attention or improvement," which has seemingly led to an age of social media spirituality.

As described in an article from Forbes, "In the past, spiritual wellbeing was relegated mostly to formal organizations, such as religions, but it can also be achieved through one’s own practice."

Spirituality has become a mainstream trend in which people discover ways to feel more grounded. For those who do not have the time or means to do something as drastic as van life, influencers also offer tips such as reading books on nurturing one’s inner child, journaling and using calming essential oils.

Other popular methods for Generation Z to garner a sense of spirituality and inner peace include discovering personality types through psychological quizzes, looking up the spiritual value of crystals and manifesting.

When it comes to crystals, it is believed "that certain minerals can rebalance your body’s magnetic field, helping to ease out negativity and provide qualities like focus and mental clarity."

Journaling helps track and detail the emotions one feels in a day, causing people to reflect and determine what led them to feel that way. It can be done in a creative manner using colorful pens and calligraphy to help them de-stress.

Additionally, some forms of manifesting involve creating a phrase that signifies an intention, writing it, speaking it to the universe and taking small actions to ensure your intentions come about.

Consequently, Generation Z defines its generational persona through technology. To the world's astonishment, it has used it to find mental strength through journaling, connecting with the Earth and entertaining lifestyle changes like van life and remote living.

All these things attempt to alleviate the pressures of overstimulating technology and societal expectations. And somehow, Generation Z’s attachment to social media has blossomed into a new connection with the real world again.

Abriana Diaz is a senior in the School of Arts in Sciences, majoring in political science and communications and minoring in critical intelligence. Her column, "In The Know With Abby," runs on alternate Mondays.

*Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day's publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.