Rutgers men's soccer defeats Columbia in final non-conference game

Graduate student midfielder Jackson Temple opened the scoring in the Rutgers men's soccer team's win over Columbia. – Photo by Ben Solomon / ScarletKnights.com

The Rutgers men's soccer team earned its second win of the season against Columbia tonight. The Scarlet Knights (2-3-1, 0-0-0) took down the Lions (1-2-1, 0-0-0) by a score of 2-0 in a strong defensive performance.

Rutgers got off to a fast start, as freshman defender Nick Collins' header attempt hit the post in the 1st minute. Approximately 5 minutes later, senior midfielder Jason Bouregy found space in the box to shoot, but his attempt was kept out by Michael Collodi.  

Columbia would then have a chance of its own, as Joao Lima shot the ball on his right foot, but his effort flew over the crossbar.

Graduate student midfielder Jackson Temple would score the game's opening goal in the 41st minute. Temple capitalized on a mistake by the Lions, shooting the ball into the top left corner of the goal to net his 2nd goal of the season.

The Knights dominated the first half, attempting 11 shots and taking four corner kicks. Going into halftime, Rutgers led 1-0.

The Knights started off the second half hot, as they dominated possession in Columbia's half.

Rutgers had its first clear chance of the second half in the 63rd minute. Junior midfielder Curt Calov was picked out in space and shot the ball right at Collodi.

The Knights continued their chances with a counterattack opportunity in the 70th minute. Sophomore forward Ian Abbey took a shot on the edge of the box, and Collodi dove to make the save.

Rutgers would get its 2nd goal right at the buzzer thanks to a great solo run and finish from freshman forward Luciano Sanchez.

The Knights played strong defense to claim the victory, as they limited the Lions to just three shots in the second half.

Despite the loss, Collodi had a strong day between the posts with 10 saves.

Temple spoke about his goal following the game.

"The ball fell for me really well, and I tried to make the most of my opportunity," Temple said.

Rutgers will look to begin conference play with a win when it takes on Michigan State at Yurcak Field on Busch campus on Sunday. Kick-off is scheduled for 2 p.m. and will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus and 88.7 WRSU-FM.

"We earned a lot of chances today," said head coach Jim McElderry. "I'm just happy that our guys got across the line today because I feel like they deserve more than what we have gotten so far out of this season."

For more updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Matthew Mangam's work, follow @matthewmangam on X.