As program awaits Dylan Harper’s decision, Rutgers men's basketball focuses on 2025 recruiting class

Head coach Steve Pikiell and the rest of the coaching staff have made waves for the Rutgers men's basketball team in the recruiting trail last month. – Photo by @RutgersBasketball / X.com

The 2023-24 season draws closer for the Rutgers men's basketball team and head coach Steve Pikiell. While the Scarlet Knights continue preparing for the upcoming season, Pikiell and his coaching staff have continued recruiting for the future.

Rutgers has welcomed its 2023 class consisting of freshman guards Jamichael Davis and Gavin Griffiths on the Banks. While fans of the Knights are excited to see what Griffiths and Davis bring to the table, the 2024 class is shaping up to get fans even more thrilled for the future.

As it stands right now, Rutgers holds commitments from four players in the 2024 class. Five-star forward Airious "Ace" Bailey headlines the class and is the highest-ranked recruit of all time for the Knights, topping Griffiths. In addition to Bailey, four-star center Lathan Sommerville, three-star forward Bryce Dortch and three-star forward Dylan Grant round out the class thus far.

The 2024 class for Rutgers currently sits at No. 5 in the nation in the 247Sports team recruitment rankings. The Knights have been as high as No. 2 in the rankings since getting the four commitments they currently have.

Rutgers could actually finish atop the rankings if it can get the commitment of five-star combo guard Dylan Harper. The saga that is Harper's recruitment has been ongoing for some time now. 

Harper had been the No. 1 player in his class prior to five-star forward Cooper Flagg reclassifying from 2025 to 2024. Harper now sits in second place, just above Bailey, the future Knight.

Harper has had his recruitment narrowed down to five schools for some time now, with Rutgers being forecasted by many experts to be the choice he makes over the likes of Duke, Indiana, Kansas and Auburn.

Harper has spent a lot of time this past summer playing with Bailey. They seem to have built some great chemistry despite the fact that it's unknown whether they will end up together as Knights. 

Many think this chemistry will bode well for Rutgers' chances. Harper's ties to the program, with his older brother Ron Harper Jr. being a legend for the Knights, should help as well.

Dylan Harper would likely be the last potential addition to the 2024 class.

As for the class of 2025, things have not changed too much since the last time The Daily Targum checked in. Pikiell has reportedly offered 11 players thus far in the class, all of which remain uncommitted.

The biggest target of the class so far seems to be five-star guard Trey McKenney. It's been reported that Pikiell and his staff have been checking in with McKenney often and have seen him play in recent weeks. McKenney has a visit scheduled to Rutgers for October 13.

McKenney hails from Michigan and has some ties with the Knights' program already. He has played with Grant in the past, who committed to Rutgers just more than a month ago. The Knights' newest assistant coach, Marlon Williamson, is also a fellow Michigander who has been recruiting the Mitten State very hard for Pikiell.

As the recruitment of Dylan Harper presumably comes to a close soon, recruitment for the 2025-2026 season should become Rutgers' main focus.

Wherever things go from here for Pikiell and his staff, it is clear they are looking to be heavy hitters in the recruiting world and are off to a strong start.

For more updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Camden Markel's work, follow @CamdenMarkel on X.