BENITEZ: Put some respect on Rutgers' name

Column: Hear Me Out

It is time for the Rutgers community and those around it to recognize and appreciate what the University has to offer. – Photo by Rutgers.edu

It was not until I watched the first episode of the TV series "Suits" that I understood the level of "bad fame" that Rutgers has on the East Coast. It bothered me more than it should have.

As an international student who specifically applied to Rutgers because of its academic excellence, accessibility and location, among so many other things, the idea of it being seen as a lesser or inferior school does not make sense to me.

And it is not just about one of the characters making a sassy comment about how bad Rutgers Law School seems to be. It is about all the negative comments, posts and affirmations from students, alumni and people without any connection to Rutgers whatsoever.

It is the constant bashing of a school that just ranked No. 40 in the 2024 Best National Universities list by U.S. News and World Report.

Ironically, Rutgers' biggest haters seem to come from New Jersey. Being a public state school with more than 40,000 students, a member of the Big Ten and a loud presence in the state makes it nearly impossible for New Jersey youngsters not to consider Rutgers as one of their choices for higher education.

Yet, its high acceptance rate (66 percent) and its comparatively low price often turn Rutgers—New Brunswick into a "safety school" — the place you attend when all your other choices do not work out.

Rutgers—New Brunswick is the 15th-best public school in the country. In addition to that, Rutgers—Newark Business School is ranked 45th in the entire country, the Criminology Program is seventh and the Public Affairs Programs are ranked 28th, according to the U.S. News and World Report.

I have not even mentioned Rutgers—New Brunswick's graduate programs yet, which are ranked as some of the best in the country.

Overall, when talking about rankings, there is no reason to disregard Rutgers as a top choice, especially if your major is ranked highly on the list. Nevertheless, what makes Rutgers great goes beyond numbers, stats and academics.

First and foremost, I have to talk about the school spirit: It is contagious here. Walking through New Brunswick's gigantic campus, you get to see Rutgers banners everywhere and students wearing shirts, hoodies and pants with the University's colors and logos.

Besides that, the games (especially the football games) with the chants, the media and the dedication can make students really feel a part of something bigger. It is a feeling that will not leave you even after you graduate.

Moreover, Rutgers' offices and resources go above and beyond. You can check the Office of Disability Services for one of many accommodations available to students and staff, or you can see if any leadership or mentoring programs interest you in the Institute for Women's Leadership.

If you struggle with any class, the Learning Centers have everything you need to help you succeed academically. And if you need a little extra hand, the Student Food Pantry gives free food to all Rutgers students who need it. There are more excellent resources that can help you achieve your means, which I recommend checking out on the Resources of Students Sucess.

On top of that, there are spaces for students to enjoy their time doing what they like the most. Although I have not been to all of these, here are some of my top picks:

• The Rutgers Makerspace on Livingston campus offers a wide variety of DIY equipment, such as 3D printers and laser cutters to work on a class project or on a personal project.

• The Esports Center on Busch campus has 60 MSI gaming computers for you to use (and game) as you please.

• The School of Environmental and Biological Science Farm on Cook campus has tours around the place for you to see the adorable animals for $5 a person.

• The Rutgers Cinema on Livingston campus, where you can watch the latest released movies and grab a matinee ticket for only $5 (with your RUID).

• The Rockwall, on the College Avenue campus gym, is where you can try rock climbing and take classes. You can even become a certified belayer.

And, of course, let us not forget about the more than 750 student clubs and organizations. Everything from academic and professionally oriented, such as the Economics Society and the Geology Club, to cultural organizations like the Hellenic Cultural Association. Moreover, there are leisure clubs for (literally) all interests.

Maybe you could join the Rutgers University Poker Club, F.A.C.E. Modeling Team, or even, perhaps, the Cook Student Organic Garden Club.

Besides that, we have all the sports clubs (including chess) that you could possibly think of.

Above all, Rutgers is where I met the best people, including some of my best friends, amazing professors, great colleagues and awesome co-workers. It is a place that brought me a sense of community that I never knew existed.

The University has been my home for a while now, and even though it could definitely improve in some areas, I do not think it deserves the hate it receives.

Rutgers' ratings speak for itself, but its professors, resources, opportunities, people and spaces deserve way more recognition than any number. It deserves the title of a good school, and we are lucky to be going here.

Marina Benitez is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in gender and media. Her column, "Hear me out," runs on alternate Mondays.

*Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 500 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 850 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day's publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.