Jackson Temple has paved the way for Rutgers men's soccer's success

Graduate student midfielder Jackson Temple has been a stalwart for the Rutgers men's soccer program and is putting together one of his most prolific seasons this year. – Photo by Ice You

Graduate student midfielder Jackson Temple was honored on Senior Day after the Rutgers men's soccer team's match against Michigan State on September 17. In that game, Temple scored a dramatic last-second goal to force a tie in his team's first conference matchup of the 2023 season.

Temple has played for the Scarlet Knights (5-6-2, 3-3-1) for the last five seasons after playing for the Philadelphia Union Development Academy.

Temple revealed that the coaching staff was a big reason as to why he chose Rutgers.

"When I came to visit, they were really excited to have me there and visiting," Temple said.

Temple has been a key player for the Knights ever since he arrived on the Banks, starting in all 18 matches in his freshman season and earning a unanimous selection to the Big Ten All-Freshman Team.

Temple spoke on what led to an impactful first season for him.

"I think a big part of it was just hard work and really just listening to what the coaches asked," Temple said. "In our first preseason game, I was able to score a goal, so that played a big role in it, too. I started off really well, and I was luckily able to keep it going."

Temple continued his strong performances in his sophomore and junior seasons, scoring 8 goals and providing four assists combined in 22 starts. He was also named to the All-Big Ten Second Team and United Soccer Coaches All-North Region Second Team in 2021.

Temple helped turn Rutgers into a winning program and explained how he has made an impact.

"As a winger, I think a big part of it is just trying to score goals and create goals, which I’ve been able to do a few times," Temple said. "These past few years, I've mostly been trying to lead by example and be a leader on the team just because I've seen the program grow, and I've been able to learn what it takes to be a part of that winning team."

In his senior season, Temple's 6 goals and eight assists helped lead the Knights to their first Big Ten Championship in program history.

"It was probably the best day of my life. It’s a day I’ll never forget," Temple said about the day the team won the Big Ten Championship.

Temple's experience has played a big role in the leadership he provides to the team.

"Being a part of a winning group and a losing group has taught me a lot on how to lead in any situation," Temple said.

With the 2023 season coming to a close, Temple still has some things he wants to accomplish before his time is done.

"I'd like to win again," he said. "We’ve had a really good past two games, too. We’re really feeling good, and I definitely want to end on another high and have another one of the best days of my life again."

For more updates on the Rutgers men's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Matthew Mangam's work, follow @matthewmangam on X.