Rutgers women's soccer falls short in loss to No. 20 Michigan State

Senior midfielder Sam Kroeger could not find the back of the net despite taking multiple shots for the Rutgers women's soccer team in its game against Michigan State on Sunday. – Photo by ScarletKnights.com

The Rutgers women's soccer team suffered a 2-0 defeat to Michigan State earlier today at Yurcak Field on Busch campus. The Spartans (10-3-3, 5-1-2) ended the Scarlet Knights' (7-6-3, 3-4-1) two-game winning streak.

Rutgers would struggle to break No. 20 Michigan State's pressure, retain possession and create scoring opportunities in the first half.

The Knights also started off the game with an injury blow, as junior forward Gia Girman departed the game for senior midfielder and defender Becci Fluchel after picking up an injury in the 12th minute.

Fluchel forced Spartans' goalkeeper Kaitlyn Parks into her first save of the game in the 18th minute. After Fluchel's shot, Michigan State would continue to settle into the game and put pressure on Rutgers' backline.

Bella Najera scored the first goal of the game for the Spartans in the 41st minute. Najera received the ball in space, dribbled into the box and shot the ball into the top left corner to give Michigan State the 1-0 lead.

At halftime, the Spartans led 1-0 and had a 13-4 shot advantage.

Michigan State would continue its dominance in the second half.

In the 51st minute, Gabby Mueller fired a shot that was tipped over the crossbar by redshirt freshman goalkeeper Olivia Bodmer.

The Spartans extended their lead in the 52nd minute off of a corner kick. Regan Dalton swung the ball to Celia Gaynor, who was unmarked at the back post and headed the ball past Bodmer into the top right corner.

Senior midfielder and forward Sam Kroeger, junior midfielder Kylie Daigle and junior forward Riley Tiernan all attempted shots in the second half but were unable to find the back of the net.

The Knights would try to cut into the deficit but had trouble breaking Michigan State's press and attacking chances came few and far between.

The Spartans ended the game with a 16-10 lead in shots and a 9-6 lead in corner kicks.

Bodmer recorded two saves but also conceded 2 goals. 

Parks made three saves in goal for Michigan State, but none were particularly challenging.

The game was physical, as both sides committed more than 10 fouls and both sides received two or more yellow cards.

Rutgers now sits in ninth place in the Big Ten with just two games of the regular season remaining. Only the top eight teams make the Big Ten Tournament.

The Knights will look to get back into the playoff picture when they travel to Columbus, Ohio, to take on Ohio State. Kick-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. and will be broadcast on the Big Ten Network.

"We got out-worked," said head coach Mike O'Neill. "We got out-battled and kind of came out flat. So we've got to try to figure out how we don't do that."

For more updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Matthew Mangam's work, follow @matthewmangam on X.