Kyle Monangai etches his name in stone for Rutgers football

Junior running back Kyle Monangai has had a monstrous season for the Rutgers football team and will go down in the team's history. – Photo by Evan Leong

Junior running back Kyle Monangai will forever be written into the Rutgers football team's record books.

Last Saturday against Maryland, Monangai eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark on the season for the Scarlet Knights (6-6, 3-6), becoming the first to do so for the program since 2012. 

Even though Rutgers lost to Maryland, it was fitting that Monangai tallied 118 yards on the ground for his sixth 100-yard performance of the season. The running back needed just 19 yards to surpass the 1,000-yard mark and did it in the first quarter against the Terrapins (7-5, 4-5).

After the game, head coach Greg Schiano congratulated Monangai on his achievement and commended him on a job well done this season.

"When you have one of your hardest workers, one of your profitability productive players, it's great as a head coach because you can point to that," Schiano said about Monangai. "He is a leader on the team, and he is fully invested in everything we're doing. It's huge for the program's development."

The junior from Roseland, New Jersey, certainly played a huge role in the Knights, earning traditional bowl eligibility for the first time since 2014.

In his first three games of the season, Monangai rushed for more than 350 yards and tacked on five rushing touchdowns.

His 165-yard performance against Temple and three-score day against Virginia Tech the following week raised eyebrows nationwide. Monangai was crowned Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week after his performance against the Hokies (6-6, 5-3). He was the second Rutgers player to ever receive the honor.

In the midseason, Monangai kept chugging along with three consecutive 100-yard performances. He tallied 148 yards in a miraculous comeback victory against Michigan State, totaled 109 yards in the bowl-clinching win over Indiana and pounded the ground with 159 yards against one of the best defenses in the country in Ohio State.

Monangai finished the regular season with 1,099 yards and seven touchdowns, surpassing Terrell Willis for the ninth-best rushing season among Knights running backs throughout program history.

"It means a lot," Monangai said after his record-breaking game against Maryland. "It's a credit to the guys up front. We set a goal to succeed on offense and succeed in the run game. I think that's just a testament to that (and to) the commitment we had in the beginning of the season and throughout the season. It's a cool accomplishment for sure."

The junior ended the regular season as the Big Ten rushing leader. It's a great accomplishment for a great player. For his effort on the field, Monangai was awarded All-Big Ten Second Team honors.

The king will look to keep his seat on the throne as Rutgers is set to play in its bowl game in late December.

For more updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Josh Meyers' work, follow @JoshCMeyers on X.