Why do Black Friday deals start so soon nowadays? Inside Beat investigates

Retailers have started advertising their Black Friday deals earlier and earlier. – Photo by Ashkan Forouzani / unsplash.com

Are you ready to shop this year's Black Friday deals? Maybe you already have. It seems like every year, Black Friday sales begin earlier and earlier, lasting half the month of November and sometimes even longer. So why is this happening?

It turns out that there are quite a few factors that have led to Black Friday lasting much longer than just the Friday after Thanksgiving. One of the reasons is that many retailers try to entice customers with their deals before they find better discounts elsewhere. 

Some customers may be tempted by big discounts earlier in the holiday season to get their shopping done sooner rather than later. This benefits the retailer because it means the customers who are swayed by early sales will spend their money before other stores even begin their Black Friday sales.

Another factor at play is the way that shopping culture has changed in recent years, especially following the pandemic. In-person shopping on Black Friday is not as popular as it used to be, with many people opting to shop online instead. Online shopping allows customers to start shopping earlier, as they don’t have to plan a trip to an overly crowded store on a specific sale day. 

There's also Cyber Monday, the Monday after Thanksgiving, which is traditionally the major day for online discounts. Now that online shopping is also a huge part of Black Friday, retailers are able to create longer sales that last all the way from before Black Friday to Cyber Monday, drumming up hype for online deals.

Additionally, inflation plays a huge part in why Black Friday deals keep starting earlier, according to NBC Miami. With the way that prices have been rising, people are looking to save money during the holiday season. For those who come up with specific holiday shopping plans, being able to check items off their lists earlier rather than later is beneficial, especially when these items are finally on sale after the year's constant price increases.

Not only are Black Friday deals starting sooner, but they’re also becoming a lot more heavily marketed and noticeable. With the popularity of social media platforms like Instagram, TikTok, Facebook and X as well as Instagram and TikTok Shops, there are tons of places for retailers to advertise their discounts. 

Websites and social media content managers are suggesting different ways to advertise Black Friday deals, meaning there is already a slew of strategies being used online to try to get you to shop this holiday season.

So while these sales have likely been going on for longer and longer throughout the past several years, as social media gets more ingrained into our culture, they've also become more visible and started to feel more prominent. 

While seeing Black Friday discounts as early as the end of October may feel obnoxious, the benefits these deals have for retailers as well as the customers who look forward to them likely means that they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.