No. 13 Rutgers wrestling looks for first-ever win against No. 9 Minnesota

The Rutgers wrestling team will face a tough test against top-10-ranked Minnesota. – Photo by Ben Solomon / Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers wrestling team will return to Jersey Mike's Arena on Livingston campus to face off against Minnesota on Saturday. The Scarlet Knights (10-2, 3-1) are coming off a 23-10 defeat to Michigan, which ended an eight-match winning streak and undefeated start to Big Ten action.

In their last match, the Golden Gophers (5-2, 0-2) lost 19-14 to Nebraska and remain winless in conference play.

Head coach Scott Goodale has nothing but respect for No. 9 Minnesota despite its poor start to Big Ten play.

"This is one of the best programs, year in and year out in America," Goodale said. "They're currently ranked number nine and deservedly so, they're very, very good."

With No. 13 Rutgers back on the Banks this weekend, Goodale thinks the crowd can make an impact in the match.

"Man we could really, really use them ... kinda need them to get behind our guys," he said. "That could be a real advantage if they show up and they're loud."

No. 16 junior 125-pounder Dean Peterson will likely take on No. 11 Patrick McKee in the first bout of the afternoon. Last season, Peterson worked a 6-4 decision over McKee to advance to the Blood Rounds of the NCAA Championships.

Junior 149-pounder Michael Cetta won both of his matchups last weekend and is now on a three-match winning streak against conference opponents. Cetta will look to continue his positive form against No. 13 Drew Roberts, who finished as a runner-up at the Bison Open for his respective weight class.

Junior 157-pounder Andrew Clark, who has missed the last four dual matches due to injury, may return against the Golden Gophers. Junior 157-pounder Al DeSantis has filled in for Clark and has won 1 of his 4 bouts this month. DeSantis or Clark will do battle with No. 6 Michael Blockhus.

No. 22 sophomore 184-pounder Brian Soldano lost both of his bouts against the Wolverines (5-2, 3-1) and Michigan State. Soldano will look to return to his winning ways against No. 6 Isaiah Salazar, but it will not be easy as Salazar has only lost once this campaign. Salazar also defeated Soldano last season with a 3-0 decision at the NCAA Championships.

No. 9 junior 197-pounder John Poznanski is the only Knight who remains undefeated. Poznanski has earned four ranked wins this season and will take on another ranked opponent in No. 24 Garrett Joles on Saturday.

No. 7 graduate student 285-pounder Yaraslau Slavikouski suffered his first defeat of the season against No. 11 Michigan. Slavikouski will close out the dual with a bout against No. 29 Bennett Tabor.

Rutgers will need to bounce back against Minnesota, as the rest of its schedule will not get easier with matches against top-10 ranked teams Ohio State and Penn State. If the Knights emerge victorious on Saturday, it will be their first win against the Golden Gophers in program history and Rutgers' first win against a top-10 opponent since Jan. 11, 2019.

The key to victory? The Knights will need some upset wins and standout performances throughout the lineup.

"From an individual standpoint, we gotta win ranked matches, we gotta beat the guys maybe we're not supposed to on paper," Goodale said. "As a team, we need a big win, it's been a while," Goodale said.

The contest between Rutgers and Minnesota will begin at 1 p.m. on Saturday and will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus and 88.7 WRSU-FM.

For more updates on the Rutgers wrestling team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Matthew Mangam's work, follow @matthewmangam on X.