Daily Targum's 155th board departs, welcomes 156th board

and 
The Daily Targum ushered in its 156th editorial board through a process known as caucus. – Photo by Courtesy of The Daily Targum

On February 9 and February 10, members of The Daily Targum's 156th editorial board underwent a caucus in order to officially assume their roles for the upcoming term.

The caucusing process involved editors from the previous and incoming boards interviewing potential members of the 156th board about a range of topics, from their goals for their term to their mastery of the Targum style guide.

Sixteen board members were inducted that weekend, with six returning for a second or third year on the board.

One of the returning board members, Brian Delk, a School of Communication and Information junior, will be the 156th board's editor-in-chief. Delk, who served as the 155th board's head news editor, supported the board through an unprecedented, tumultuous time.

"I am glad to have begun my journalistic career with The Daily Targum," he said. "I hope to see everyone who goes through the Targum grow, improve and be the best they can be when they graduate."

As he moves forward in this new role, he said he hopes to improve the newspaper's social media and multimedia initiatives and inspire collaboration in his new role.

"I hope we all have a great time together and prioritize fun when working with each other and collaborating with the Rutgers community," he said.

Alongside Delk, Astha Lakhankar, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, steered the 155th board through turbulence as the Targum's managing editor.

Both she and Delk supplemented various editorial vacancies across the board, including those at the Inside Beat, news and social media desks. 

Lakhankar will be returning to her role as the Targum's managing editor in the upcoming months while training her successor. She said she expects her remaining time with the Targum will be nostalgic given her long history with the organization and the lessons it has taught her.

"As graduation approaches, I've been thinking a lot about my time as an undergraduate, including what I would change or do differently," Lakhankar said. "But when it comes to the Targum, I would choose it every time."

The 156th board also welcomed newcomers to the board, including Alex Kenney, a School of Communication and Information junior, who will succeed Delk as the board's head news editor.

Kenney, who started as a news writer in April 2023, said she is honored to continue the work of the 155th board members who trained her and also seeks to establish a culture of commitment at the Targum.

"I am incredibly grateful to work for a prestigious institution like the Targum and fully intend on dedicating my role to strengthening our writer base and our connection to all Rutgers campuses," she said.

Alongside Kenney, Arishita Gupta, a Rutgers Business School and School of Communication and Information senior, will enter her second term as the desk's assignments editor.

During her time at the news desk, Gupta said she learned a considerable amount about the desk's responsibilities, strengths and shortfalls. In her past term, she streamlined several operations of her role and hopes to use this newfound time to bolster the desk.

"As I enter my final year at the Targum with a grasp on how various aspects of the desk operate from both the perspective of a writer and an editor, I hope to use my remaining time here to continue expanding how we cover critical University events and better prepare our writers for success both at our desk and outside of the University," Gupta said.

This year, the sports desk expanded to include three editors, as opposed to its traditional head and associate pairing. Josh Meyers, a School of Communication and Information junior and the 155th board's associate sports editor, will now assume the head sports editor position.

Meyers said he aims to explore what multimedia looks like in the role.

"I'm really looking forward to expanding my journalism horizons as head sports editor with great Rutgers sports content: for students, by students," he said.

Newly joining the sports desk are associate sports editors Camden Markel, a School of Communication and Information junior, and Matthew Mangam, a School of Communication and Information sophomore.

Markel, a former sports correspondent, said he hopes to expand on the sports desk's multimedia use and not limit the desk's output to written articles.

"I'm so excited to be taking this position and can't wait to see where the sports desk can go," he said.

Mangam said he looks forward to working with his fellow sports editors and increasing the amount and quality of writing at the sports desk.

Joel Pesantez, a School of Communication and Information junior, will take on the role of Inside Beat editor this term. He said he looks forward to publishing articles that focus on the Rutgers community under the Targum's historic name.

"I want to better capture the vibrant and lively community that is New Brunswick," Pesantez said.

The Targum's copy desk will be headed by co-head copy editors Lilly Tea, a School of Communication and Information junior, and Romi Vaturi, a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore.

Tea said the Targum is a new experience for her but she aims to apply lessons from her coursework to her role's responsibilities.

"I'm so excited to work with people who are talented at so many things, and I hope to be that talented one day as well," Tea said.

Vaturi also said she is enthusiastic about improving her understanding of ongoing events at the University, in addition to scanning her colleagues' writing and editing.

"I hope to support writers in refining their work, guaranteeing clarity, consistency and coherence while preserving their unique voices and styles," she said.

Also joining the copy desk this term is associate copy editor Tani Dave, a School of Communication and Information sophomore.

Dave expressed similar zeal to her fellow copy editors and said she is eager to work with people who prioritize exceptional performance and development while supporting the Rutgers community.

"I look forward to promoting and upholding the values of a newsroom, as well as making sure that Rutgers has a quality publication at its fingertips, keeping it informed and connected," Dave said.

The Targum's video desk will see a reprise from Benjamin Horner, a Mason Gross School of the Arts junior, and Ragini Subramanian, a Rutgers Business School and School of Communication and Information junior, who will continue to serve as co-head video editors this term.

Horner said he is enthusiastic about a new year at the Targum and wants to explore more creative content. He also hopes to create better connections between videographers during this term and invites people to apply to the desk.

"Arrgggh! If y'ar fixin' t' join me pirate crew (the Targum video desk), ye best be sendin' a message our way, mateys," he said.

Subramanian also expressed ardor for her return to the desk and looks forward to creating more entertaining and informational content for communities within the University and surrounding areas.

Leading the Targum's socials desk is Evelyn Oravez, a School of Arts and Sciences first-year. Like her colleagues, she said she is looking forward to connecting more with New Brunswick and Rutgers community members through more online and multimedia content.

"This year, I really want to focus on interacting more with the Rutgers community because I think that's a great way to increase the Targum's relevance through social media," Oravez said. "Follow @dailytargum on Instagram, X and TikTok!"

The 156th board also welcomed two new graphics editors: Elliot Dong, a Mason Gross and School of Communication and Information sophomore, and Franky Tan, a Mason Gross junior.

Both editors said they look forward to improving the Targum's online appearance, presentation of content from various desks and connection to the newspaper's audience.

"This year, I hope to expand the Targum's visual presence, increasing engagement with the Rutgers community in creative ways," Dong said. "I'm excited to collaborate with different desks and work with my passionate and talented peers of board 156."