Ditch Valentine's Day: It's time to celebrate Galentine's Day

Instead of preoccupying yourself with romance this Valentine's Day, take the opportunity to celebrate friendship and sisterhood. – Photo by Franky Tan

What's Galentine's Day? As "Parks and Recreation" character Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) puts it, "Oh, it's only the best day of the year."

In the show, Knope takes all her gal friends out to celebrate on February 13 every year. They eat, talk and exchange gifts. While it originally started as a plot for a sitcom episode, the holiday has truly transcended TV.

Whether you're celebrating your friends, moms, grandmas or aunts, it's a great day to celebrate all of the women in your life. There are countless activities to enjoy with your girl friends, regardless of whether you're single or in a relationship.

If you're looking for some ideas on how to celebrate, we're here to help!

Arts and crafts

First and foremost, Galentine's Day relies on fun between friends. To spread love and enhance creative skills, you can choose between a ton of Valentine-themed arts and crafts projects.

There are cheap and easy projects that anyone can do, like pottery painting or necklace-making. If you want to remain in the holiday spirit, you can even decorate your creations with hearts.

Amazon hosts a paint-your-own heart-shaped trinket kit. Target also has many different cute wood pieces to paint, including Valentine's Day unicorns and classic hearts anyone can appreciate.

Necklace-making is another creative project to consider this Galentine's Day. Instead of relying on a romantic partner to buy you jewelry, why not make it yourself? 

Michaels and other craft stores offer beads, chains, charms and clasps for you to make any type of necklace you want.

Drinking

While completing amazing works of art and beautiful jewelry, you and your friends will need something to sip on. Cocktails and mocktails are essential for a Galentine's Day celebration.

Champagne, sex on the beach, pink lady and sangria are all Valentine's Day classics. And nobody can go wrong with a strawberry margarita. While chatting or chilling with your friends, this fun, refreshing pink drink adds a delightful touch.

A Couple Cooks claims to have the perfect strawberry margarita, and a virgin version recipe from This Vivacious Life is simple and easy to follow. With some strawberries and lime juice, you'll be having fun in no time.

Baking

Why stop at drinks? Make your Galentine's Day even sweeter with some desserts.

Target offers many different dessert kits, including heart-shaped cookies or a unique cookie house, perfect for a Valentine's Day-themed treat. This Taste of Home recipe only requires two ingredients for a sweet treat. You can take a box of brownies and add whatever unique toppings you love, including but not limited to chocolate, sprinkles, peanut butter and marshmallows.

Going for a night out

If a night in with drinks, food and crafts does not fit your needs, there are plenty of options to get you and your friends out of the house.

The College Avenue campus and New Brunswick are home to distinct restaurants, food options, bars and dessert places. Some of these fabulous places have Valentine's Day events and special items for the upcoming weeks. Take your friends out for this holiday!

Insomnia Cookies has a delicious Valentine's Day-themed menu, including Ghirardelli chocolate lava cake, red velvet cookies 'n cream brookies and other delights for a limited time. Other classic options include AKIHI Bubble Tea at The Yard @ College Avenue and Thomas Sweet Ice Cream and Chocolate on Easton Avenue.

If you're looking for exciting nightlife, the pubs and bars near campus offer a great atmosphere for you and your friends.

Scarlet Pub is hosting a Galentine's Day Theme Night on Tuesday. Ale 'N 'Wich Pub has a Cupid Karaoke event on Thursday from 7 to 10 p.m. You can enjoy drinks (that you don't have to make yourself) with your wonderful girl friends.

Galentine's Day comes just once a year — celebrate! Take the opportunity to appreciate and support the women in your life, but remember to also do so year-round.