DIY go broke? Affordable, crafty gifts to get your Valentine

Save your wallets this Valentine's Day — make your own special gifts at home. – Photo by Franky Tan

Valentine's Day isn't just about celebrating loved ones, it's also about showering them with gifts. It's easy to get a bouquet or a box of chocolates — why not make this year memorable by crafting something special with your own hands? 

Here's a list of possible Valentine's Day or Galentine's Day gifts for either your partner, best friend or a cherished family member.

Personalized candles:

Candles always manage to creep up into gift-giving guides, but they can actually be meaningful if you manage to find a unique one. Instead of buying a candle from a store that's prepackaged in some boring or corny Valentine's Day label, make it an arts and crafts project!

Buy a few different plain candles and decorate them with candle wax, as if you were painting a design or a message on the candle. This way, the candles will have a personal touch to them. The imperfect design adds to the charm, making it all the more special. 

Decorated lamps:

For those who are in a relationship with an interior decorator, giving them a custom lamp is perfect for Valentine's Day! And it's so unique that they probably won't see it coming. Aside from adding some more personality to your home, it can also serve as a bedside light for late-night reading.

For those who are on a budget or short on time, run to your local craft store and buy materials to decorate a lamp already put together. Just remember to add your own touches to it!

Custom jewelry:

Jewelry is a classic gift for loved ones. But why would you want to go to a jewelry shop and spend tons of money on something that doesn't have any meaning behind it? Why not also customize it to their personality?

There are multiple ways this can be done, depending on your budget and timeline. If you want to spend your Valentine's Day in New York City, a local shop lets you shuck a mussel to find a pearl and create a necklace or other piece of jewelry with it. 

If you're short on time, you can travel to your local craft store and pick out different beads, metals and supplies to create a one-of-a-kind piece of jewelry. If you need a little help to figure out how to begin designing your partner's jewelry, Gita Jewelry has do-it-yourself (DIY) kits to choose from.

Home-cooked meal:

Jewelry is great, but what's more valuable than food? And what's better than baking or cooking a special person in your life sweet treats or a meal?

Restaurants can be such a hassle, especially on a holiday like Valentine's Day — customers might feel rushed, and dining spaces can get overly crowded. Enjoying a nice snack can be a gift in and of itself. You can always decorate the dessert with a cute message or some hearts to further show your love for your partner.

Clay creations:

Crafting a custom object with clay shows you're not afraid to get your hands a little dirty. Go to your local craft store and pick out your partner's favorite colors from the air-dried clay options to design a mug, flowerpot, bowl, pencil holder or trinket dish — pick anything that has significance in your relationship. 

Immortalize yourself: 

Whether it's a Polaroid picture or a photo booth strip, printing out a partner's favorite photo and framing it is a great gift. If you don't want to use a boring frame, turn the photo into a mug, a puzzle, a journal or an acrylic panel — all of this can be done with same-day printing from your local CVS.

You can also head to Walmart or use your printer at home and turn the photo into a multitude of options, including a magnet, an ornament, a coaster, a keychain, a planter or make a necklace with the photo.

Hopefully, this DIY gift guide sparked an idea for this year's Valentine's Day for that special someone in your life.