From breakup anthems to ballads: Building your ultimate heartbreak playlist

Find solace and strength in our curated playlist to guide you through the ups and downs of a breakup. – Photo by Franky Tan

Breakups are tough, especially when they mean being left alone on Valentine's Day. You know that you'll eventually heal, overcome your heartbreak and discover a path leading toward a better, brighter life.

But for the moment, optimistic pep talks can wait — you're in your feels, and listening to a playlist full of breakup songs in your car is your remedy.

Regardless of whether you're feeling sad, angry or vengeful, below are some songs that will help break through the aftermath of a relationship and instill a sense of empowerment within you. So, get ready to dance it out, cry it out and move on from your ex.

"We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (Taylor's Version)" by Taylor Swift

Enduring a confusing on-and-off relationship is truly no small feat. That's why acknowledging when it's time to permanently part ways is essential. Only then can genuine progress toward healing begin. 

Swift, known for her compelling songs about past relationships, encapsulates this sentiment perfectly in her track "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together." Sometimes, the allure of second chances simply isn't worth the effort.

"I Will Survive"  by Gloria Gaynor

Kind of cheesy? Perhaps. Effective? Absolutely. 

This timeless classic serves as a firm reminder that, despite feeling at your lowest, you'll overcome it all. So, why not dance your way through the struggle? It's the ultimate power anthem full of motivation and inspiration, addressing the stages of post-breakup grief.

"Tears Dry On Their Own" by Amy Winehouse

After listening to this song, your tears are guaranteed to dry on their own. In fact, what tears? You won't shed a single tear over them ever again.

"thank u, next" by Ariana Grande

Grande deserves a big thank you for the powerful reminder that even the most devastating endings can fuel our strength. Grande's introspection on her past relationships leads her to profound realizations, pushing her toward a future unburdened by the past.

"Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson

Ah, Kelly Clarkson. She always seems to know exactly what listeners are going through. 

Since its debut, this track has become the ultimate empowerment anthem for numerous post-breakup scenarios. It embodies the liberation from a relationship, the strength gained from the experience and the assurance that whoever you're parting ways with has truly missed out on something remarkable.

"Watercolor Eyes" by Lana Del Rey

A common theme in Lana Del Rey songs is delving into the essence of broken love. With "Watercolor Eyes," she explores the ambiguous territory of the push and pull of an on-again, off-again romance. In a single song, she captures the experience of longing to be with someone despite the awareness that it may not be entirely right.

"You're So Vain" by Carly Simon

Your ex probably thinks this song is about them. Well, they're not wrong. Fortunately, you're free from that now. So, blast the volume, dance it out and relish in the thought of never having to tolerate their vanity ever again.

"All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault)" by Taylor Swift

Where to start with this one? 

This favorite among Swifties delves into celebrity relationship lore and offers beautiful imagery for those moments when you just need to immerse yourself in post-breakup melancholy.

Swift's breakup songs truly stand in a league of their own, and this one is her crowning achievement. With the release of the 10-minute "All Too Well" short film alongside the reissue of this track on "Red (Taylor’s Version)," the world seemed to collectively dissolve into a tearful puddle.

"F*ck You" by Lily Allen

There are times when you just want to raise that middle finger high and shout "f*ck you" to your ex. Well, Allen does it for you in this catchy song — unless you've already taken the liberty to do so yourself.

"I Fall to Pieces" by Patsy Cline

Have you ever experienced how seeing someone you once loved can feel like reopening a painful wound? Patsy Cline beautifully captures this experience with relatable, heart-crushing lyrics like, "You walk by, and I fall to pieces."

"Someone Like You" by Adele

Though we may hold onto the memory of that special someone who slipped away, oftentimes we must come to terms with the reality that rekindling the relationship is improbable. Adele's poignant depiction of the agonizing journey to let go and search for a new love reminiscent of the past resonates deeply.

"good 4 u" by Olivia Rodrigo

We've all encountered that ex who seemed to bounce back a little too swiftly, but do we care so much? Not really. Take Rodrigo, for example, who delivers plenty of sassy jabs as she congratulates her former romance with "good 4 u," all while moving onward and upward.

The music video also deserves a mention for its subtle nods to revenge-themed breakup movies, alongside a meticulously set bedroom scene that ends up in flames. It's fueled by anger, tinged with fantasy and undeniably cathartic.

"Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac

When you're overwhelmed with a sense of sadness and longing for what's been lost or struggling with the inevitable changes people undergo, turn to Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide." Let Stevie Nicks sing straight to your heart with lyrics like, "Well I've been afraid of changing / 'Cause I've built my life around you."

Just because you're suffering from a broken heart on Valentine's Day doesn't mean you have to suffer in silence. Use friends, family or even your favorite musician as a shoulder to cry on.