No. 14 Rutgers wrestling looks to get back on track against Maryland

The Rutgers wrestling team will look to return to its winning ways against Maryland on Friday at Jersey Mike's Arena on Livingston campus.  – Photo by Cos Lymperopoulos / Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers wrestling team will return to Jersey Mike's Arena on Livingston campus to wrestle Maryland on Friday night. It has been tough sledding for the Scarlet Knights (10-5, 3-4), as they have lost four straight matches against ranked Big Ten opponents.

No. 14 Rutgers is coming off its heftiest defeat of the season to Penn State. The Nittany Lions (10-0, 7-0) won 9 of the 10 bouts to cruise to a comfortable 35-3 victory in University Park, Pennsylvania.

Despite the grueling loss, the Knights were able to keep the early bouts close.

No. 19 junior 125-pounder Dean Peterson took No. 6 Braeden Davis to sudden victory but lost via a takedown.

Freshman 125-pounder Max Hermes filled in for No. 21 graduate student 141-pounder Mitch Moore and kept his bout against No. 1 Beau Bartlett close until the very end. Hermes was wrestling up two weight classes from where he typically competes, but he looked strong.

Newly-ranked No. 25 junior 149-pounder Michael Cetta wrestled evenly against No. 9 Tyler Kasak but suffered a 7-5 decision. Cetta was able to land a nice reversal and a few escapes, but it was not enough.

Rutgers could use the promising performances to build momentum heading into Friday's dual with the Terrapins (4-6, 2-5).

Maryland has struggled in Big Ten action but is coming off a 28-15 win over Michigan State.

The Terrapins currently have five wrestlers ranked, while the Knights have eight.

No. 9 junior 133-pounder Dylan Shawver earned an impressive 9-6 sudden victory win against No. 1 Penn State over No. 11 Aaron Nagao. Shawver owns a record of 19-5 and has defeated five ranked opponents this season. Shawver will likely take on No. 16 Braxton Brown this weekend in what will be another bout to look out for.

Moore did not wrestle against the Nittany Lions due to illness but will likely return to the mat against Maryland. Moore should face off against No. 28 Kal Miller.

Cetta has been one of the most impressive wrestlers for Rutgers this season. Cetta has fared well against conference foes and may have a challenging bout against No. 12 Ethen Miller.

No. 22 junior 197-pounder John Poznanski also did not wrestle against Penn State. Poznanski has been on a losing skid, falling short in his last two matches, and is now 12-2 this campaign. He will potentially have his hardest matchup of the season against No. 4 Jaxon Smith.

No. 10 graduate student 285-pounder Yaraslau Slavikouski will likely have a ranked contest against No. 26 Seth Nevills. Slavikouski has struggled against ranked wrestlers and will look for consistency with a victory.

The Knights have a great opportunity to end their losing streak against the Terrapins. Rutgers will then take on Bloomsburg next week before the Big Ten Tournament begins in March.

Friday's contest will begin at 7 p.m. and will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus and 88.7 WRSU-FM.

For more updates on the Rutgers wrestling team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Matthew Mangam's work, follow @matthewmangam on X.