Rutgers softball kicks off 2024 season with 4 wins at Houston Invitational

The Rutgers softball team opened up its season with some strong play at the Houston Invitational last weekend and will look to continue at the Panther Invitational. – Photo by @ru_softball / Instagram

The Rutgers softball team opened up its 2024 season at the Houston Invitational this past weekend. The Scarlet Knights (4-1, 0-0) started the season with a bang, winning 4 of their first 5 games of the year.

Graduate student catcher Katie Wingert catapulted Rutgers to success. Wingert had a .444 batting average over the weekend and launched five home runs.

Her exceptional play earned her the Big Ten Player of the Week award, bringing early recognition to the Knights.

With Wingert leading the way, Rutgers had a weekend full of wins in its first appearances of 2024.

Day one

The Knights had a doubleheader on the slate for the opening day of the invitational. They began the day with a mercy-rule victory over Colgate.

Fifth-year pitcher Mattie Boyd made her Rutgers debut in the circle against the Raiders (1-4, 0-0), allowing just one hit, no earned runs and 11 strikeouts in five innings pitched.

Wingert launched a two-run blast, and senior outfielder Kayla Bock went 2 for 2 at the plate with three runs batted in (RBI) against Colgate.

The Knights finished with a 9-1 win against the Raiders in five innings.

Rutgers rounded out its opening day with another blowout victory, winning 14-5 against Indiana State.

The game followed in a similar fashion to the one before with a two-run shot from Wingert.

Senior shortstop Kyleigh Sand had herself a day, scoring five runs and picking up three RBIs.

Senior pitcher and outfielder Morgan Smith recorded the win on the mound for the Knights, going four innings and striking out seven batters. Smith also tacked on a two-run double as a hitter.

Day two

Rutgers remained undefeated on day two of the Houston Invitational, snagging wins over Houston and, once again, the Raiders.

Wingert blasted three more homers in two games.

The Knights beat the Cougars (4-1, 0-0) by a score of 10-2. This game was an all-around team effort, with 10 different players all recording a hit against Houston.

Saturday ended with a 7-4 win over Colgate. Wingert had two dingers in the contest.

Smith pitched a complete game for Rutgers against the Raiders, striking out six batters. She also had a good game at the plate, going 3 for 3.

Day three

The Knights closed out the weekend on Sunday, taking on the Cougars once again. This time, they were not so lucky and fell to Houston 6-3.

Rutgers gave up four runs in the first inning and could not recover.

The Knights will be back on the field this weekend at the Panther Invitational in Miami.

For more updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Allison Girardi's work, follow @allisongirardii on X.