U. instructor selected for Association for Psychological Science's Rising Star cohort

Yanping Jiang, an instructor in the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, was recently named a Rising Star for her research on social contributors to health by the Association for Psychological Science (APS). – Photo by Courtesy of Yanping Jiang

Yanping Jiang, an instructor in the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, was recently selected as a Rising Star by the Association for Psychological Science (APS), according to a press release.

The Daily Targum spoke with Jiang about her research and the Rising Star distinction. APS is a nonprofit organization that aims to advance psychological research and increase its presence on a global scale, according to the organization's website.

The Rising Star award highlights APS members early in their postdoctoral careers for their contributions to the field, according to the release.

Jiang said that her current research centers around the health effects of stress on older adults, specifically focusing on older Asian immigrants. She said that her experiences as a health psychologist, immigrant and first-generation college student motivated her to research this topic.

Since receiving her Ph.D. in Health Promotion, Education and Behavior from the Arnold School of Public Health at the University of South Carolina, Jiang has researched adolescents, their addictions and their relationships with their parents.

"These experiences inspire me to study why social forces lead to health disparities, with an ultimate research goal to develop effective interventions to improve health equity," she said.

Jiang also said that the award embraces high-quality psychological science research.

"I was grateful for the support of my nominators, mentors and mentees through the journey," she said. "This designation is a shared success, and I am very honored to be recognized as one of the APS Rising Stars."

She said to become a Rising Star, a candidate must be nominated by two APS members who are acquainted with their research.

Her primary nominator, Samuele Zilioli, an associate professor in the Departments of Psychology and Family Medicine and Public Health Sciences at Wayne State University, informed her through a phone call that APS selected her as a Rising Star, she said.

Jiang said her long-term goal in this role is to strengthen her research foundation, empower upcoming health disparity researchers and pursue advanced research about social factors in health.

"This award amplifies the visibility of my work and, thus, may foster collaboration with scholars who share my research interest to expand the scope and impact of our work," she said.

Although Jiang said that she is not currently teaching any classes, she will be teaching a Byrne Seminar about health disparities with respect to socioeconomic boundaries in the Fall 2024 semester.

"(Being named a Rising Star) represents an acknowledgment of the contribution of our research in advancing the current understanding of social determinants of cardiometabolic health," she said. "It motivates me to continue doing impactful research that contributes to positive changes in individuals and communities experiencing health disparities."