Bulldog beatdown: Rutgers women's lacrosse falters in loss to No. 16 Yale

After falling to Yale 14-8 on Sunday afternoon, the Rutgers women's lacrosse team has now lost three straight games.  – Photo by Evan Leong

The Rutgers women's lacrosse team fell 14-8 to Yale on a sunny Sunday afternoon at SHI Stadium on Livingston campus. The Scarlet Knights (5-4, 0-2) could not overcome their poor first half and ultimately suffered their third straight defeat to the undefeated Bulldogs (7-0, 1-0). 

No. 16 Yale did not waste any time on offense as Taylor Everson and Ashley Kiernan found the back of the cage early in the contest. Rutgers was able to catch up as junior midfielder and attacker Victoria Goldrick and sophomore attacker and midfielder Lily Dixon netted goals to tie the game at 2-2. Both teams would trade goals before the Bulldogs scored the last 2 goals of the quarter to lead 5-3 after 15 minutes of play. 

The second quarter was much slower-paced than the first, as both teams battled to dominate possession of the ball. With approximately 4 minutes left in the second quarter, Sky Carrasquillo and Jenna Collignon gave Yale a 4-goal advantage. Then, Dixon responded with a goal, ending an 18-minute scoring drought and making the score 7-4 heading into halftime. 

The Bulldogs started the third quarter with another tally. Graduate student midfielder Cassidy Spilis responded with her 1st goal of the day, and junior midfielder and attacker Michelle Warren added another goal minutes later. The Knights conceded 2 more goals before scoring 2 goals of their own. With momentum on its side, Rutgers still trailed 10-8 but had the opportunity to make a late comeback in the fourth quarter. 

Yale did not let the Knights get anything going in the final quarter, though. Carrasquillo, Collignon and Taylor Lane all scored to seal the Bulldogs’ seventh win of the season. 

Rutgers struggled on defense in the game and allowed Yale to attempt 37 shots, with 22 being on goal. Senior goalkeeper Sophia Cardello saved eight shots. 

Spilis scored just 1 goal and was shut down by the Bulldogs, but Goldrick and Dixon were able to pick up the pace as they both had 2 goals and three assists.

The Knights were disorganized on and off the ball, recording 16 turnovers and 18 fouls. Yale scored 3 of its 6 free position attempts en route to the comfortable win.

After starting the season 4-0, Rutgers has now lost three straight games and is winless in Big Ten play. The Knights will have a tough road contest against Maryland on Sunday. The game will begin at noon and will be broadcast on the Big Ten Network.

For more updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on X.