Goodbye glue guy: Mawot Mag enters transfer portal after 4 years with Rutgers men's basketball

Senior forward Mawot Mag spent four memorable years with the Rutgers men's basketball team before entering the transfer portal. – Photo by Evan Leong

The glue guy — senior forward Mawot Mag embodied this role for the Rutgers men's basketball team in his four years on the Banks. Mag did it all throughout his career as a Scarlet Knight, and his unique ability to provide connectivity for the team every time he was on the floor has been commendable.

It was a long road to Rutgers for the 6-foot-7 forward. Mag was born in Sudan, where civil war forced him and his family to flee to a refugee camp in Egypt before then immigrating to Melbourne, Australia.

Mag's father got him interested in basketball. From there, Mag was hooked. At 15 years old, he left Australia to play high school basketball in the U.S. Mag attended Prolific Prep in Napa, California, where he lived with a host family who wound up being a perfect fit.

Host parents Heather and Andrew Curry, along with their children, became a second family for Mag.

"The experiences we had together were tremendous," Mag said. "I still talk to them day by day ... I'm just very grateful to have them in my life."

With a strong support system in place and the talent he possessed, Mag garnered a three-star rating and committed to the Knights.

Head coach Steve Pikiell saw Mag as a perfect fit for his team.

"I love to recruit kids that, before they come to college, they have had some adversity," Pikiell said. "A player like Mawot, the adversity that he faced along every step of his life — he's just continued to fight through all of it."

While Mag had battled through a lot throughout his life, the tribulations were not quite over.

After two solid years on the Banks, primarily coming off the bench, Mag was thrust into a starting role in his junior year. He started the first 23 games, averaging 7.8 points per game (PPG) and 5.3 rebounds per game (RPG).

In game No. 23, Rutgers had a primetime matchup against Michigan State at Madison Square Garden.

Mag started hot.

"I felt like I was getting in my rhythm. I think I scored the first 7 points," he said.

Then, disaster struck, and Mag tore his ACL in his right knee.

"I knew it was gonna be a long rehab process," Mag said. "Pain will either make you or break you … I knew that this was just something I can overcome."

Overcome it he did, as approximately 10 months later, he returned to the court for the Knights in a rivalry matchup with Seton Hall this season. Mag's impact was felt as he totaled 4 points and eight rebounds while doing his job as the glue guy and playing strong defense.

The rest of the season would be up and down for Mag, as he was in and out of the lineup dealing with nagging injuries. He appeared in 17 games and averaged 9.1 PPG and 3.8 RPG.

Mag's future on the Banks was up in the air, but it was ultimately announced Wednesday afternoon that he would enter the transfer portal. Senior center Clifford Omoruyi did so, too.

While Mag will be finishing up his collegiate career elsewhere, there is no doubt that his impact was felt in his four years, and his name will forever be remembered beside the likes of Rutgers legends whom he played alongside.

"A lot of mixed emotions, of course — been here for four years, went by pretty fast," Mag said. "It's definitely been a journey, ups and downs … It was a great experience."

For more updates on the Rutgers men’s basketball team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Camden Markel's work, follow @CamdenMarkel on X.