Murphy to increase funding for New Brunswick schools by $12.8 million

During his budget address on Tuesday, Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) announced that the New Brunswick Public School District will be receiving an additional $12.8 million in funding for the 2025 fiscal year. – Photo by Mr. Matté / commons.wikimedia.org

On Tuesday, Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) released the state's fiscal budget for the upcoming year, which will increase the funding New Brunswick public schools receive by more than $12 million, according to an article from NorthJersey.com.

Alongside New Brunswick, 422 other districts will see an uptick in their funding. Funding for 15 more will remain constant this year, while funding for 140 others will drop. Across the state, financing for public schools will rise by $908 million, according to the budget.

According to the NorthJersey article, this sum is particularly monumental because it will allow New Jersey to provide every school with the amount of money it is expected to need this year, in full.

The decision comes as part of the state's initiative to make New Jersey a greater place for families, as outlined in the budget.

"Importantly, this is not only an investment in the future of our students, but the future of our entire state," Murphy wrote into the budget. "It is an investment in our educators, who are the backbone of New Jersey's best-in-the-nation public education system ... It will help millions of families feel more financially secure — and more confident about making their future in the Garden State."