Time is ticking for TikTok: Try these other apps

TikTokers are in a frenzy over a potential ban announcement — fortunately, there are alternatives. – Photo by TikTok

If you’re a TikTok user, you’ve probably heard the bad news by now — the U.S. House of Representatives recently passed a bill forcing TikTok’s parent company to sell the app or remove it from American app stores. If this bill also passes in the Senate, it may mean the end of TikTok as we know it.

The ban would undoubtedly create a void in the social media sphere. Thankfully, there are several apps and tips to keep you scrolling.

Short-form content

Other popular social media platforms have already picked up on TikTok's distinct style. YouTube and Instagram have adopted "Shorts" and "Reels," respectively.

To recreate the algorithm-based TikTok experience, you may have to spend a bit more time curating your feeds on these apps. But once you do so, there’ll be tons of short-form content to enjoy!

There is also a worry among creators about their followers disappearing into thin air. Starting fresh on a whole new site isn’t exactly the easiest process, luckily there are online guides that will help these accounts maintain their social media fame.

This guide from Ampfluence offers ways that users can transform their TikTok audience into Instagram followers. Cross-posting TikTok videos onto Instagram Reels is a great way to get a head start on building an Instagram audience. If you want to make the jump to long-form content for platforms like YouTube, this blog from Content 10X provides some advice on doing so.

Aesthetics

TikTok offers a unique service in platforming trends and aesthetics, especially when it comes to fashion and makeup. While there isn't a platform that perfectly replicates this, there are other apps that allow you to curate boards and share them with others.

These include Pinterest, which allows you to create both private and public photo boards — you can even make collaborative ones. Some TikTok users have already adopted Pinterest in their videos.

Another app you can use to make aesthetic boards and photos is Landing, a digital collage app. This app allows you to adopt user-uploaded photos into your own creations with its intuitive layering system. You can then share your creations with others on the app, who sprinkle glitter on boards they like!

Communities

BookTok, WitchTok, StudyTok … all of these communities and more are part of the allure of TikTok — it’s incredibly easy to find and engage with creators who have similar interests, but TikTok going away doesn’t mean that these communities have to disappear, too.

Plenty of niche creators have established followings on other platforms. For the book community, BookTube and Bookstagram have existed for a while, in addition to Witchstagram and Studyblr.

Recipes

TikTok is home to its fair share of viral recipes, including whipped coffee and baked feta pasta. If you’re worried about losing culinary inspiration, don’t fear — you can also find great food creators on Instagram and YouTube.

Another great way to find recipes is to follow smaller food bloggers and cookbook authors. Going down to your community library or bookstore is a great way to support local establishments while also gaining cooking inspiration. You may find some delicious treats that would never have appeared on your "For You" page.

While these platforms and sites won’t give you the exact same experience, you can certainly still enjoy being online without TikTok.