U. aids in statewide distribution of bleeding control kits for religious institutions

The New Jersey Office of Homeland Security and Preparedness (NJOHSP) is giving out first aid kits to houses of worship, citing a rise in extremism. – Photo by Mikhal Nilov / Pexels

Earlier this month, The New Jersey Office of Homeland Security and Preparedness (NJOHSP) launched an initiative to give out bleeding control kits to places of worship throughout the state, according to a press release.

The NJOHSP will give out 7,100 kits, which include tourniquets, bandages, gauze, gloves and shears, to 6,400 houses of worship statewide.

The program is funded by federal aid from the Federal Emergency Management Agency as part of its "Stop the Bleed" campaign with support from Rutgers and other local partners, according to the release.

Laurie Doran, director of the NJOHSP, said the hope is that these kits will not need to be put to use, but if they are, they can make a significant difference.

"While many religious organizations have become more vigilant with mitigating risks and threat levels, the quick action of bystanders can drastically improve the survivability of the wounded as they wait for first responders’ arrival," she said in the release.