Demarest Hall serves with dollhouse drag show

Demarest hall had audiences gagged with its recent drag show. – Photo by Akansha Singh

Last Thursday, Demarest Hall hosted its highly anticipated drag show, one of the most popular events hosted by the venue. The residence hall cultivated an inclusive space for members of the LGBTQ+ community to showcase their talents and true selves.

In true Demarest tradition, the night was defined by excitement, applause and enthusiasm. Unsurprisingly, both attendees and performers were dressed to the nines, playing with fashion styles from different periods and mediums. Whether it was through jewelry, corsets, extravagant hair and makeup or different fashion textures, attendees were dressed to impress.

The theme of the drag show was "dollhouse," with a structure reminiscent of a "Barbie Dreamhouse" placed on the stage set up in the middle of the room. The dollhouse made for a great photo opportunity, and many took advantage of it, striking a pose with friends or by themselves. As for the performers, they came out of the dollhouse one by one, each showcasing their own antics and performance techniques.

The space was adorned with twinkling lights in pink and purple hues that added to the theme while catchy tunes played throughout. The event also featured tables lined with goods available for purchase from local businesses. Lastly, the crowd was asked to tip the performers at the end of their respective acts to show their support. 

"I've been going to Demarest events for a couple of years now, and it's always a really good time and with really great people," said Shanzeh Nasir, a Rutgers alum. "I'm just happy to see another drag show happen."

Performers at the dollhouse drag show included Anania, Acid Reflux, Mx. Media and Bloody Barbie, just to name a few. All the performers executed their performances in their respective styles, all of which included powerful messages, loud and colorful costumes and compelling renditions. 

Every performer captivated the audience, whether it was through storytelling, dance or something in between the two. 

The performers were met with loud applause from the crowd who brought the required energy to the room. Patrons joined in on the performance, singing along to "Proud Mary" by Tina Turner or channeling all of their energy reciting every word of "California Gurls" by Katy Perry.

The Dr. Molecule performance was a particularly interesting showcase, featuring a unique sci-fi vibe. The two performers put on an entire show and wore costumes that emulated an eerie, dystopian energy. Their act kept the audience on the edge of their seats with some shocking twists — there were consistent audience gasps.

Many attendees were looking forward to seeing Anania, a prominent drag and social media star.

"I'm most excited to see Anania," said Reese Garcia, a School of Arts and Sciences senior. "I know them from TikTok, I'm so excited, I know them very parasocially through my friend who went to school with them, so (it's) very cool."

Anania's performance was nothing less than captivating, accentuated by their ballerina attire and extravagant makeup. The entire whole room went wild when they did a show-stopping split in the middle of their performance. 

Needless to say, the drag show was a huge success, and the extensive Demarest community came out to support the performers and the event for that night. 

For its next event, scheduled for Friday, Demarest Hall will transform into a thrift shop and flea market.