Firework reportedly thrown at victims at College Avenue Parking Deck

An aggravated assault investigation is underway as two victims, who are affiliated with the University, reported that individuals threw a firework at them at the top of the College Avenue Parking Deck. – Photo by Alex Kenney

On Wednesday night, at approximately 11:34 p.m., two Rutgers-affiliated individuals reported that while at the top of the College Avenue Parking Deck, a firework was thrown at them from a vehicle, according to a University-wide email.

Although the firework exploded near the victims, they were not physically injured in the incident, which is under investigation as aggravated assault.

The number of perpetrators and their appearances are unclear at this time, but the vehicle in question was described as a white, two-door BMW convertible.

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) requested those with information on the incident to come forward and contact the RUPD's Detective Bureau. The RUPD also advised the University community to remain aware of their surroundings, report suspicious activity and individuals, avoid dimly lit and unpopulated areas and walk in groups at night.

The RUPD additionally noted that it provides escorts to University community members when requested to vehicles, campus housing and University bus stops.