Internship 101: Advice for rising Rutgers professionals

Navigating the competitive job and internship market can be seemingly impossible for college students — consider adopting these tips into your strategy. – Photo by Tima Miroshnichenko / Pexels

Looking to get a summer job but don't know where to start? Worried that all the best summer internships might've been taken? Don't panic — it's never too late to find something! Here are some tips for a stress-free summer job hunt.

Look for "fresh" job postings

Let's face it, most of the time, companies publish job openings and then forget to delete the postings once the positions have been filled.

To have a better chance of finding opportunities that are still hiring, you can typically sort job postings by the ones that have been added to job boards most recently. Handshake is one platform that lets you do this easily, and also adds a red banner next to "fresh" jobs.

If your preferred job board is LinkedIn or Indeed, you can also filter jobs by how recently they were posted allowing you to prioritize newly opened positions.

Talk to local businesses

If you're not feeling picky about having an internship or a part-time job for the summer, checking out local businesses can be a great option. Instead of relying on hearing back from major companies, who sift through hundreds of resumes, try reaching out to a small business.

Many of these companies don't have updated websites or fully fleshed-out online presences, so they can be harder to find. But, there's no harm in reaching out!

It can certainly be scary to risk being turned away by a business on the spot, but going in person can help you stand out from the crowd and give you the opportunity to forge beneficial connections with industry professionals for the future.

Utilize helpful keywords

If you've applied for jobs or internships before, you know how overwhelming job boards can be. Having thousands of postings at your fingertips may be exciting at first, but can quickly make the process difficult — how do you figure out which opportunities are best for you?

Utilizing certain keywords to help you narrow down your search can help you with this. For summer jobs, using terms like "seasonal" and "temporary" in your search can help you avoid wasting your time applying for jobs that are meant to be more long-term or may not fit your desired job field.

Check out specific companies

Is there a specific company you're hoping to work or intern for, but you can't find them on any job boards? It might not hurt to just reach out to them directly.

If you go right to a company's website, you may be able to find career openings that they haven't posted anywhere else. You could also find their recruiting email and just reach out to them expressing your interest in working there — the worst things that can happen are they say no or don't respond. But if you take these extra steps, you'll know you've given it your best shot.

Take advantage of Rutgers' resources

If you've exhausted your options and are still struggling to find work for the summer on your own, don't be afraid to check out the resources that Rutgers has available to you! Rutgers Career Exploration and Success office holds career advising sessions to help out students.

This will allow you to ask career questions to someone who can help you personally. Having your resume and cover letter reviewed by a professional is also a step you can take to stand out in the job application process, especially for more competitive jobs and internships.

Rutgers is also hosting a Spring Career & Internship Fair at Jersey Mike's Arena on Livingston Campus — take advantage of the opportunity to make connections and meet potential employers.

These tips won't guarantee success in finding a summer job or internship, but they can help you make the process less intimidating and stressful. At the end of the day, the best thing you can do is just keep on applying — every opening you apply for is a step closer to a future job or internship!