JOSE: Why you should care about divestment

The divestment vote is still up in the air for Rutgers students during this year's Spring 2024 election cycle. – Photo by @itstandsforhighquality & @sjprutgersnb / Instagram

It is difficult not to get overstimulated by the thousands of tragedies happening around the world. Internet access helps us easily learn about any event happening in real time. But in doing all this, you can feel overwhelmed, stuck or even unable to make a meaningful change.

But all is not lost, and there is no need to completely unplug from everything. There is still a way to make a big difference on an issue you really care about. Recently, I came to realize that it is truly the small things that can make a difference, even in geopolitical conflicts such as the Israel-Hamas war.

If you are a Rutgers student who has been scrolling through social media in the last few weeks, then you might have noticed the term "divestment" floating around your timeline, as well as the hashtag "YesToDivest." These relate to Rutgers' endowment fund and, specifically, how it is tied to the Israel-Hamas war.

"The Endowment" is an investment fund seeded by various "charitable donations" and invested into a pool of externally managed funds, including mutual and hedge funds that own shares in publicly traded companies. This is done to provide an additional source of income for the University beyond tuition.

This money is crucial to do things such as pay faculty, build infrastructure and fund programs like scholarships, research and more. This is money that every individual at Rutgers benefits from. But this money has also, in part, been invested in shares of companies such as Lockheed Martin and Boeing, which, through contracts with Israel, have enabled attacks against the Palestinian people.

As a result, the hashtag "YesToDivest!" was circulated online by on-campus social justice organizations, such as the Endowment Justice Collective (EJC), to refer to the first and second propositions of the latest Rutgers University Student Assembly referendum. In voting "yes," the Rutgers community would indicate to the University that it is in favor of the endowment being divested from companies that "profit from, engage in, or contribute to the government of Israel's human rights violations."

These propositions are instrumental in making sure that the community's views on the Israel-Hamas war can be heard, specifically as they relate to the University. Many people like to think that they are distantly affected by severe injustices such as war, as it is a scary idea to comprehend. But in reality, issues such as the Israel-Hamas war have an impact that is truly global, even if we are not always aware of it.

As a university that prides itself on its "commitment to the common good," it is disappointing that we are in this situation. How can we hope to create a better future when we are contributing to the problems of the present?

Rutgers also has one of the most diverse campuses in the nation and is made up of many communities that can relate to what is happening with the Israel-Hamas war. During a recent educational event with the EJC and Anakbayan Rutgers, I was personally able to learn about the history of the conflict and how it related to the history of the Philippines.

While I could not immediately think of similarities between the Philippines and Palestinians, the discussion quickly made me realize that both countries are victims of modern imperialism. To sum up this complex conversation: because both Palestinian and Filipino workers are being exploited, whether it is for their land or labor, they experience similar kinds of human rights losses. As a result, these countries are unable to live up to the potential that many citizens believe they have.

This connection represents how the Israel-Hamas war affects the Rutgers community, not only economically but also ethically. There is a much deeper connection that unites members of the community, one which is forged in shared experiences with oppression.

As a result, it is clear that divesting our money from companies that profit from the loss of human life is something we can no longer tolerate or ignore. Not only does it go against our values as a community, but also as a university that hopes to make the world a better place, investment in these ventures makes us look hypocritical.

This is why organizations such as the EJC have spoken up about the endowment and its hopes to divest from the conflict to move toward more ethical ventures. This is a small action we can take to make a difference in the world and uphold our university's values.

As members of the Rutgers community, we deserve to have a say in where money goes and how it is utilized. But beyond our campus, as members of the global community, we owe it to others to use our influence to create a world we would all want to live in.

Amelia Jose is a junior in the School of Arts and Sciences majoring in Political Science and minoring in International and Global Studies and Art History. Jose's column "Sip and Chat" runs on alternate Thursdays, and is best enjoyed with something to drink as you read.

Columns, cartoons, letters and commentaries do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Letters to the editor must be between 350 and 600 words. Commentaries must be between 600 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com and eic@dailytargum.com to be considered for publication.