Kendrick Lamar serves up humble pie on latest feature, 'Like That'

Kendrick Lamar set the rap world ablaze with his latest feature on "Like That." – Photo by @Kurrco / X.com

Future and Metro Boomin’s latest album, "WE DON’T TRUST YOU," released on March 22. The title sets a cutthroat tone that is present throughout the record, especially on the sixth track, "Like That," which features a standout collaboration with Kendrick Lamar. 

Though Lamar’s verse is only around one minute long, he makes the most of his time, taking shots at Drake and J. Cole through a series of intricate references that may go over some listeners' heads.

While the first half of Lamar’s rap is somewhat ambiguous, once he brings up that he dislikes "sneak dissin', first-person shooter," he makes things abundantly clear. This is a blatant call-out to Drake and Cole, who recently collaborated on the song "First Person Shooter."

This may come as a shock to some, especially considering that Cole tipped his hat to Lamar in his verse, rapping "Love when they argue the hardest MC / Is it K-Dot? Is it Aubrey? Or me? / We the big three like we started a league." 

Lamar, also known as K.Dot, clearly took issue with this sentiment, which has been echoed by fans and music outlets for years. He would later respond to this on "Like That," rapping that he hates being grouped in as a member of "the big three" and that, "it’s just big me." 

Lamar continues his verse, likening his beef with Drake to their legendary predecessors, rapping, "Prince outlived Mike Jack'."

In this line, Lamar compares himself to Prince, while Drake adopts the role of Michael Jackson, something the rapper has done multiple times, most notably on the aforementioned "First Person Shooter."

On the track, he raps "I'm one away from Michael." Since then, Drake has tied Jackson for the most number-one singles in music history. While both died in their 50s, Prince lived seven years longer than Jackson — by evoking these artists, Lamar suggests both he and his legacy will outlive Drake’s.

Lamar puts Drake to rest with his final diss on the track, rapping, "'Fore all your dogs gettin' buried / That’s a K with all these nines, he gon' see Pet Sematary," a blatant diss at Drake's latest album, "For All The Dogs."

Understandably, the track turned the music world on its head, with rappers taking to social media to voice their opinions on Lamar’s beef with Drake and Cole.

Ye, formerly known as Kanye West, was among the first to seemingly choose sides in the war, sharing his 2016 collaboration with Lamar, "No More Parties In LA," to his Instagram story. Considering Ye’s recent antisemitic statements, having someone like him on your side isn’t the best look. But the rapper later clarified his stance in a now-deleted post, claiming that he’s better than both Lamar and Drake.

Drake later responded to the diss in a cryptic Instagram post, captioned, "They rather go to war with me than admit they are their own worst enemy." Cole has yet to respond to Lamar’s diss. 

When Drake and Cole inevitably drop a diss track of their own, expect another mic drop moment for the rap world.