Rutgers music festival 'COMMchella' places spotlight on communication majors

Last week, The Yard @ College Avenue was transformed into a lively musical festival, COMMChella, in honor of celebrating the communication major. – Photo by Anushka Dhariwal

If you were feeling FOMO from watching Instagram stories of your friends partying at Coachella, hopefully, you were able to make it to Rutgers' very own music festival.

After being postponed due to rain, the highly anticipated "COMMchella" finally shook the grounds of The Yard @ College Avenue with infectious melodies and perfect festival weather last Tuesday. The event, which was a part of the third annual "#BeCOMM" campaign hosted by the Department of Communication in the School of Communication and Information at Rutgers—New Brunswick, drew in students, faculty and alumni from far and wide. 

The live music lineup was a force to be reckoned with, headlined by Philadelphia-based band SNACKTIME. The festival was rounded out by Rutgers-affiliated acts like the Rutgers University Marching Band, Deep Treble, Ophiocoma, Kyphosis and Jake Thistle, a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore.

While some attendees might've come for the music, the event also offered an opportunity for students to network and learn more about the communication major. 

Attendees were encouraged to take advantage of free professional development opportunities, such as LinkedIn headshots, alumni networking and resume workshopping. The event was also coupled with various school organizations, including WRSU, the Rutgers Public Speaking Organization and RUThrifty, where attendees could trade donations for free clothes.

The event in itself is a learning experience for students — preparing for the event and the campaign is part of a 15-week, 400-level special topics course.

Mark Beal, an assistant professor of practice, communication in the School of Communication and Information, emphasized the value of this event for students.

"It's experiential learning at its best … it's a real-world campaign," he said. "Preparing, planning and executing all in the course of 15 weeks. It's incredibly impressive what the students in the course can do."

Hannah Schwartz, a School of Communication and Information senior, was just one of the students involved in setting up and advertising the event. In addition to her involvement with "COMMchella," Swartz is also the president of the student-run firm Scarlet PR.

But this wasn't always the case — for two years, her major was undeclared. Eventually, she discovered communication and was immediately drawn to it.

"When I found communication, I just knew it was what I wanted, because it's so versatile," said Schwartz. "There's so much you can do with it. And the professors are so amazing."

In her time at Rutgers, she's made it a goal to take advantage of all the resources that the communication major offers.

"I've been able to meet so many people, make so many connections, network and get experience that'll help me in the real world once I'm graduated, looking for jobs," said Schwartz. "(This is) a great resume experience and just things that I'll take with me when I'm working."

Benjiman Argen, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, had a similar experience. After taking a gap year and transferring from a community college, he wasn't set on his career path.

But he found his home away from home through the Department of Communication and his involvement with the club, Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA), of which he is now the president.  

"When I came back to school, I was kind of looking for that sense of community," said Argen. "Everybody's really supportive, all the teachers, faculty … It's like having a network and being close with people."

In order to bring this ambitious project to life and unite, the "#BeCOMM" campaign received support from organizations like Warner Brothers Discovery, RWJ Barnabas Health and SHI International Corporation. But, as the tradition of "COMMchella" continues to grow, its scope continues to widen.

Brian Householder, the director of undergraduate studies in communication and an associate teaching professor in the School of Communication and Information, wants to keep pushing the limits of what the festival can be. He envisions College Avenue closed off, massive bands playing and a multi-day concert extravaganza.

"This is what school should be about. Applying stuff and doing it in a cool way," he said. "It doesn't need to just be stuck in a classroom looking at a Powerpoint."