'The Fall Guy' rises to occasion, surpasses expectations

Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt command the screen in David Leitch's love letter to stunt performing and filmmaking. – Photo by @rottentomatoes / Instagram

One of the most thankless jobs in Hollywood is that of a stunt performer. Often concealed behind special effects or overshadowed by their star counterparts, many moviegoers are unaware of their hard work and dedication.

Luckily, David Leitch's latest adrenaline-fueled spectacle, "The Fall Guy," shines a light onto the unsung heroes of the film industry. The film makes for a rollicking ride, delivering both action-packed thrills and comedy — something die-hard fans have come to expect from the director.

The film kicks off with stuntman Colt Seavers (Ryan Gosling), trying to appease the whims of the temperamental superstar Tom Ryder (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) on a big, blockbuster set. What begins as a routine stunt takes a turn, setting the stage for Colt's journey of redemption.

The film admittedly gets off to a rocky start — audiences are given a glimpse into Colt's life that feels too brief and leaves lingering questions, especially regarding his relationship to director and ex-girlfriend Jody Moreno (Emily Blunt). The film doesn't properly set up the circumstances for why Colt is trying so hard to win her back.

With every other aspect of the film, though, Leitch's directorial finesse shines through. He expertly navigates the delicate balance between heart-stopping action sequences, comedic moments and poignant character development, especially with Colt. 

What sets "The Fall Guy" apart is its seamless integration of jaw-dropping stunts, blurring the line between fiction and reality. Gosling effortlessly executes what a seasoned stuntman would probably do in these increasingly difficult scenarios. 

Colt is undoubtedly the best part of the film — from working with a dog who only understands French to making quippy comments during near-death scenes, his character is endlessly likable. There wasn't a line or scene that Gosling couldn't nail, delivering an Oscar-worthy performance reminiscent of his performance as Ken in "Barbie." 

It also doesn't hurt that his character is extremely relatable, listening to Taylor Swift during a heartbreak and harboring an enduring love for dogs.

With action films, it can be hard to get attached to the typical brooding main characters, but Leitch really gets viewers to root for Colt and become emotionally attached to him. When he hurts, everyone hurts.

Another strong aspect of "The Fall Guy" is how meta the film is, poking fun at the usual clichés of the action, comedy and romance genres. 

The film's most notable scene with this is when Colt and Jody are on the phone — she's talking about what she wants her film's romantic leads to encapsulate. As she says each thing she wants to see in her film, they end up playing out in "The Fall Guy." What might be an eye-roll-worthy scene in other romcoms is elevated through the editing and script.

The love for the art of filmmaking and stunt performing is evident throughout the project. Another standout sequence occurs in the credits, where the film includes footage of actual stuntmen on set. It's a refreshing nod to the glue that holds movie sets together.

"The Fall Guy" is ultimately a cinematic ride not to be missed. Set to hit theaters on May 3, it's an adventure with a lovable lead that will leave audiences on the edge of their seats, craving more from Leitch and Gosling.