Zimmerli's 'GAYpril' event blends canvases, catwalks

La Gatita Collective recently collaborated with the Zimmerli Art Museum for GAYpril, an unforgettable entry in the latter's SparkNight series. – Photo by Anushka Dhariwal

The latest installation in Zimmerli Museum's SparkNight series, GAYpril, took place last Thursday. The event, free and open to the public, celebrated LGBTQ+ pride at Rutgers and in the New Brunswick area, featuring art, performances and interactive programs.

Throughout the event, attendees were able to stop by the hands-on artmaking workshop. An artful photo booth was also open the whole night, allowing patrons to capture memories of the event.

But, the true highlight of the program was the central show hosted by La Gatita, a New Brunswick and Philadelphia-based drag and visual art collective. Performances included an ASMR session with SourDoe and energetic routines from drag queens including Acid Reflux, Victoria Courtez, Mx. Media and Jennifer Love Williams. Music for the show was provided by DJ and producer The IZM. 

Jyoni Shuler, a psychology researcher at Rutgers, who co-hosted and performed in the event, offered some insight into how the event came to be.

"This SparkNight show came about from a series of conversations I had with the Zimmerli Museum's wonderful Director of Education Brandon Truett," Shuler said. "Once we agreed the event needed to happen and ought to highlight local talent, we reached out to the incredible La Gatita … a staple of the central NJ queer community. Once they enthusiastically agreed, we decided on the theme of 'avant garde' and encouraged the performers to take inspiration from the museum's collection."

Performers moved through the lively audience, dancing with and engaging viewers in the thrill of the show, creating a close-knit atmosphere. The entertainers donned bright, colorful attire — some wore more traditional ensembles, like a dazzling silver dress, while others sported more eccentric looks, like one dress composed of masks.

As audience members snapped pictures and cheered on the stars, they were also provided light refreshments.

In addition to the show, pop-up tours were provided throughout the evening, highlighting works from queer artists who participated in Windows of Understanding, a social justice art initiative that aims to transform public spaces into places for positive change.

By the end of the night, attendees left with handmade art, pride flags and a new connection to the local LGBTQ+ community.

"I was incredibly delighted with how the event turned out, and the fiery enthusiasm of the crowd throughout the whole show spoke for itself," said Shuler. "As a Rutgers staff member, drag artist and proud queer transfeminine person, I felt compelled to harness my connections and passions to make something meaningful happen for this Gaypril SparkNight. And what a true honor it was to make it all happen."

The next SparkNight event will take place on May 2, celebrating Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month.