Alexandra R. Meier

Alexandra R. Meier

Editor-in-chief

Alexandra R. Meier is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in anthropology. She was born and raised in South Jersey suburbia, where pronouncing bagel like “beg-el” and calling subs “hoagies” are perfectly acceptable. If you ever get to meet her, you can call her by her nickname Alex or by her 8th grade AIM screen name funkkyfreshhhh. You can win her heart by referencing The Atlantic, quoting Kurt Vonnegut or speaking to her in Dothraki, but she’ll hate you if you force baby corn or lemon seeds into her personal space. If you don’t hear her snort whiling laughing, your joke probably wasn’t funny enough. Her favorite font is Futura, but according to Buzzfeed, she identifies most with Wingdings.

Recent Articles:

OPINION

Advice on how to be editor-in-chief of ‘The Daily Targum’

Somewhere, deep within Facebook’s graveyard of forgotten posts, there’s a picture of me, smiling, with a Targum in hand. Nothing in the background is distinguishable but Targums –– layers upon layers of Targums –– looking like waves of ink and paper ready to crash down on my unsuspecting body. It was taken on my 22nd birthday, after my roommates decided it would be funny to cover my entire side of the room with that day’s issues. Today, I look back at this picture and reflect on how perfectly it epitomizes my college career: At times, Targums flooded every nook and cranny of my life, but somehow, I didn’t drown. Instead, I look back, smiling.

OPINION

Some yaks should no longer be anonymous

Timehop plays an important role in our digitally-driven lives. Not only is it a great archivist for "#tbts" and "#TransformationTuesdays," but it serves as our unofficial watchdog. The app haunts us with dozens of "Posts of Facebook Past." Perhaps you forgot about status-ing emotional Taking Back Sunday lyrics accompanied by tildes and less than threes or "prof pic’ing" a selfie of you wearing a sideways snapback. 

The Daily Targum caucused its 147th editorial board, a group comprised of three first-year students, four sophomores and five juniors on Feb. 6 in the Livingston Student Center. TYLER KARALEWICH
NEWS

Board 147 looks to improve upon predecessors

The Daily Targum has had a rich 147 years of history, from covering the first collegiate football game and suggesting that Rutgers change its color to scarlet to gaining its independence from the University. This year alone, the Targum covered a great deal of big news, such as the Condoleezza Rice protests, Rutgers’ entering the Big Ten Conference and New Brunswick’s #BlackLivesMatter demonstrations.

NEWS

Organizations sprint for annual bed races

Last night, Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles, prisoners and pirates sprinted down College Avenue — all in the name of Scarlet spirit. To kick off Homecoming weekend, the Rutgers University Programming Association and the Rutgers University Alumni Association sponsored the seventh annual “Homecoming Charity Bed Races.”

NEWS

Sub shop, stores spring up in New Brunswick this summer

Nick Komandis thought New Brunswick’s bill of fare critically needed a taste of the Jersey Shore.Komandis, owner of Hansel ‘n Griddle, chose to remedy the situation by opening Hub City Subs ‘n Grill this weekend at Hansel’s old Mine Street location.“It’s going to be the way a sub shop down the shore is.

The deaths from heroin use in New Jersey have spiked up from 700 in 2011 to 800 in 2013.
NEWS

Rutgers responds to N.J. heroin problem

Just months before Connor found himself homeless, he was a student attending Rutgers. His heroin addiction dragged him to the streets. Although Connor has recovered, re-enrolled in the University and scored an internship last summer, others are not so lucky. New Jersey has a heroin problem, and it is progressively getting worse. In 2011, 700 New Jerseyans died of heroin overdose.

NEWS

South Jersey fire spreads smokey scent to far-off areas

Rutgers students who smelled wood burning late Sunday night can put away their marshmallows — a brush fire in South Jersey caused the odor.NBC10 Philadelphia reported that the fire burned more than 1,500 acres of land in Wharton State Forest in Washington Township, Burlington County.

More Articles

Recent Media:

William McCaw was pronounced dead at the scene at 10:45 a.m. in the backyard of a home on Hartwell Street. Authorities said McCaw had not connection to the residents of the property where he was found. 
NEWS

.

More Media