Recent Articles:

NEWS

Prince departs Knights for coaching job with Lions

Rutgers head football coach Kyle Flood is expected to fill the role of one coordinator vacancy during the offseason. Thanks to Ron Prince, now both jobs need new suitors. Prince, who served as the Scarlet Knights’ offensive coordinator this past season, landed with the Detroit Lions last week as both the assistant head coach and tight ends coach.

Cornerback Ian Thomas, who quit the team Oct. 15, will now rejoin the Knights with the duty of earning back the team’s respect.
NEWS

Thomas reinstated on conditional basis

The Rutgers football team’s secondary was statistically one of the worst in the country last season. Thanks to the return of redshirt freshman cornerback Ian Thomas, the outlook for the unit looks a little brighter. Head coach Kyle Flood announced Jan. 17 that Thomas, who abruptly quit the team Oct. 15 in pursuit of a baseball career will be reinstated back to the Scarlet Knights on a conditional basis.

Julie Hermann was in the media spotlight once again this year after former football player Jevon Tyree accused a former coach of bullying.
NEWS

Criticism continues against AD

Julie Hermann did not have the easiest of starts for a first-time athletic director after allegations surfaced of verbal abuse during her time as a volleyball coach at Tennessee. But just when Hermann seemed to finally be settled into her new position, another scandal broke within the athletic department. On Nov. 15, former Rutgers football player Jevon Tyree said he left the program because he felt bullied by defensive coordinator Dave Cohen.

Redshirt freshman 174-pounder Phil Bakuckus said yesterday Rutgers’ recent road matches have taken their toll on the Knights.
NEWS

Distant bouts provide challenge

The Rutgers wrestling team traveled more than 2,500 miles to compete in their latest tournament, the Cliff Klein Las Vegas Invitational. While the Scarlet Knights arrived in Nevada a day before to train and acclimate to the three-hour time difference, senior 184-pounder Dan Seidenberg admitted it was not the Knights’ easiest weekend.

NEWS

Flood releases Cohen, two other coaches before bowl

It took less than 24 hours after the Rutgers football team’s 31-6 bowl-clinching victory for the fallout from the mediocre regular season to begin. Head coach Kyle Flood announced the firing of three assistants yesterday, including defensive coordinator Dave Cohen. He also relieved quarterback coach Rob Spence and offensive line coach Damian Wroblewski of their duties.

Sophomore running back P.J. James finds a hole during Saturday night’s 31-6 victory against USF. James received 26 carries after sustaining an injury last week.
NEWS

James carries heavy workload

With P.J. James was listed as questionable leading up to Saturday night’s game against South Florida, the sophomore running back’s role became unclear once cleared to play. But as the game wore on, head coach Kyle Flood knew the answer. James received 26 carries in the Scarlet Knights’ 31-6 victory against USF, rushing for 113 yards and two touchdowns.

P.J. James said both Savon Huggins and Justin Goodwin could handle the running back load if he is unable to play tomorrow against USF.
NEWS

RU bowl eligibility hangs in balance

After the way the season has gone for the Rutgers football team, it is only fitting one of the Scarlet Knights’ (5-6, 2-5) best weapon’s status is unknown for their season finale. Sophomore running back P.J. James went down with a lower leg injury in the first half Saturday in the Knights’ 28-17 loss to Connecticut.

Quron Pratt has played in 46 games for Rutgers after arriving from Palmyra (N.J.) High School, which is a Group 1 program. Pratt said that playing at a smaller school before college allowed him to display his skills more than if he attended a bigger high school.
NEWS

Former Group 1 high school star quietly produces strong career at receiver, special teams for Rutgers

Palmyra, N.J., located in the northwestern tip of Burlington County, is home to 7,398 residents, according to the 2010 United States Census. “It’s more of a family-oriented town,” said Quron Pratt, who calls the 2.5 square mile town home. “Everybody knows each other’s whole family since they were young. Everyone has grown up together because it’s a small town. It’s a great place to live and a great place to be.”

Junior guard Jerome Seagears scored 23 points off the bench for Rutgers Wednesday against George Washington.
NEWS

SHU visits Knights for first time since conference split

There is at least one thing the Rutgers men’s basketball team and Seton Hall have in common this season that they wish they did not. Both programs dropped games to Fairleigh Dickenson, a low mid-major that had lost six-straight games until it defeated the Scarlet Knights and Pirates in back-to-back contests. For Rutgers (4-5), the loss Nov. 26 was a disappointing finish to its time in the NIT Season Tip Off it hosted.

Senior quarterback Chas Dodd will make his 17th-career start for Rutgers on Saturday night against South Florida. In his last start, Dodd threw 16-for-35 for 286 yards and two interceptions in his last game.
NEWS

Dodd embraces last home start

When the windshield wipers are put up on all the cars in the Rutgers football team’s parking lot, junior wide receiver Brandon Coleman knows exactly who the culprit is. It is one of the many hijinks Coleman grew accustomed to when he lived with senior quarterback Chas Dodd for two seasons. “It was always jokes, it was always pranks and him acting like something seriously was happening and me falling for it because I’m gullible,” Coleman said.

NEWS

Knights drop midweek road contest to Colonials

Despite two players scoring 20 points or more, the Rutgers men’s basketball team dropped its road contest last night at George Washington, 93-87. The Scarlet Knights (4-5) suffered their second straight loss even with the strong play of junior guards Myles Mack and Jerome Seagears. Mack scored 26 points to lead all scorers, while Seagears shot 9-for-13 from the floor for 23 points.

Senior Jeremy Deering has played all sides of the ball in his Rutgers tenure.
NEWS

Senior deals with position changeover

On the eve of national signing day in 2010, Jeremy Deering had two choices laid in front of him during a local press conference: Rutgers and Florida State. When the Tampa native chose the former, he never envisioned he would spend his senior season on defense for the Rutgers football team.“I expected to be on offense all four years to tell you the truth,” the senior safety said.

Sophomore running back P.J. James lies on the ground Saturday with a lower leg injury during Rutgers’ 21-17 loss to Connecticut.
NEWS

James’ status against USF stands 50/50 after last injury

EAST HARTFORD, Conn. — Sophomore running back P.J. James’ status is once again uncertain after sustaining a lower right leg injury Saturday against Connecticut. Rutgers head football coach Kyle Flood said yesterday via teleconference James might not be available for the regular-season finale Saturday against South Florida. Flood will continue to monitor James this week.

Redshirt freshman 174-pounder Phillip Bakuckus went 3-1 in dual action this weekend for Rutgers, including a 6-0 decision against Maryland’s Anthony Gardner yesterday during the “Grapple at the Garden.”
NEWS

Matches provide RU glimpse into Big Ten future

Competing against two future Big Ten opponents in one weekend and participating at a prominent venue in Madison Square Garden impressed sophomore 197-pounder Hayden Hrymack. For the Rutgers wrestling team, it is something the Scarlet Knights must get used to for next season.

Senior Chas Dodd was named Rutgers’ starting quarterback by head coach Kyle Flood for Saturday at Connecticut. Dodd has not started since Dec. 30, 2011 against Iowa State in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl.
NEWS

Flood anoints Dodd as starter

Senior quarterback Chas Dodd had no idea why Rutgers head football coach Kyle Flood called him into his office Sunday night at the Hale Center. “I obviously knew I was coming in for something, but I couldn’t pinpoint exactly what it was,” Dodd said. In the meeting, Flood told Dodd he was the Scarlet Knights’ starter behind center for Saturday at Connecticut, demoting junior quarterback Gary Nova to the bench.

Senior 133-pounder Vincent Dellefave captured his second dual victory of the season Friday against Clarion.
NEWS

Knights dismantle Golden Eagles with bonus points

The Rutgers wrestling team emphasized gaining bonus points as essential to success given its youth. The Scarlet Knights stuck to that plan Friday night against Clarion, as the Knights (3-0) downed the Golden Eagles (2-3), 30-12, in Clarion, Pa. Senior 133-pounder Vincent Dellefave was Rutgers’ catalyst. The Toms River, N.J., native captured a 15-6 major decision against Clarion’s Sam Sherlock for his second dual victory of the season.

Senior forward Wally Judge will attempt to help the Rutgers men’s basketball team on the glass tomorrow at the RAC.
NEWS

Knights host second CAA team

One thing that stood out to Rutgers head men’s basketball coach Eddie Jordan after the Scarlet Knights’ last game against Drexel was how physical the Dragons were. “They had good size and great athletes,” Jordan said postgame Tuesday. “They had shooters and guys that can knock it down. … They were the better team.”

NEWS

U. issues statement in regards to Tyree

Rutgers Athletic Director Julie Hermann met with Jevon Tyree’s parents to “clarify misunderstandings and resolve the issues” regarding the former Scarlet Knight’s time with the football team, according to a University statement released yesterday. Clarice and Mark Tyree, along with Rev. DeForest B. Soaries Jr., senior pastor of the First Baptist Church of Lincoln Gardens, met with Hermann, where “the interests of the student-athlete were central to their discussion,” the statement said.

Drexel guard Chris Fouch steals the ball from junior forward Kadeem Jack, right, last night at the Louis Brown Athletic Center. It was one of 14 Rutgers turnovers for the game as the Knights fell, 70-59.
NEWS

Learning curve gives RU loss

When junior wing Craig Brown entered the locker room with 7:34 remaining after an apparent head injury, the Rutgers men’s basketball team had only eight rotational players. Drexel took full advantage, as the Dragons went on a 21-15 run after Browns’ injury to defeat the Scarlet Knights, 70-59, last night at the Louis Brown Athletic Center.

NEWS

Players, Flood continually support Cohen in media flurry pertaining to Tyree’s verbal abuse allegations

With 22 words Monday after practice, Rutgers head football coach Kyle Flood put his full backing behind Scarlet Knights defensive coordinator Dave Cohen. A recent nj.com article said former player Jevon Tyree accused Cohen of verbal bullying. “Coach Cohen is our defensive coordinator and if I didn’t have confidence in him as a football coach, he wouldn’t be that,” Flood said.

More Articles