By Connie Capone

Recent Articles:

Sandy Hall, a Rutgers alumna, authored the romance novel “A Little Something Different.”
NEWS

Publisher picks alumna’s young adult novel for first production

Soon, Sandy Hall will be a published writer, but as an undergraduate student at Rutgers, she failed Expository Writing. Hall, a Rutgers alumna with a bachelor’s degree in communication and a master’s in library and information science, wrote a novel picked up by Swoon Reads, a young adult romance publisher, as its first production.

NEWS

Student films story of homeless city woman

For A-Nam Nguyen, her women’s and gender studies class was more than just an item on her schedule — it became her inspiration for a documentary about a homeless woman in New Brunswick. Nguyen, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, said she came to Rutgers in the fall of 2009 from Egg Harbor Township in southern New Jersey. “I’m a first-generation student, and I wasn’t very informed about how to choose a college or what I should look for in a college,” she said.

Dawn J. Fraser, humorist and national speaker, speaks at Mark Conference 2013.
NEWS

Mark conference steps into second year at U.

Actress Laverne Cox, PostSecret Project creator Frank Warren and two 8-year-old creators of a fashion movement have left their mark on the world. They are on their path to encourage students at Rutgers to create their mark through the second annual Mark Leadership Conference this Saturday at the Livingston Student Center.

Rutgers plans to expand its 1.4-megawatt solar farm and 8-megawatt solar canopies over University parking lots, which currently generate enough carbon-free power to provide electricity to 1,000 homes.
NEWS

University sees savings with green technology

Efforts to create a green campus have saved the University Facilities and Capital Planning group at Rutgers $41 million through their participation in environmental awareness programs. Elizabeth Crann, consultant for University Facilities and Capital Planning, said the University has saved this money over a period of four years. “The goal is always to save money as well as make some sort of environmental impact, and they succeeded in both since starting this partnership with [the Environmental Protection Agency],”

Rumor has it that when a Douglass girl and Cook boy ciricle Passion Puddle, located on Douglass campus, three times, they are destined to fall in love.
NEWS

Romantic retreats reside at Rutgers

Kirkpatrick Chapel and Passion Puddle are two places University students note for their romance and enchantment. Passion Puddle is a small, tree-shaded pond on Douglass campus. According to legend, if one circles the pond three times with their romantic interest, they will be married within a year. Traditionally, if a Douglass College girl and a Cook College boy circle it three times, they are meant to live happily ever after.

Daniel Sincavage, business development manager of FILR Systems, spoke at the N.J. Bike & Walk Summit about thermal technology Saturday in New Brunswick.
NEWS

Students come together for fifth bike, walk summit

New Jersey ranks as having the nation’s second-worst pedestrian and bicyclist fatality rate, said Cyndi Steiner, executive director of the New Jersey Bike & Walk Coalition. Despite that ranking, Jeff Miller, president and CEO of the Alliance for Biking and Walking, said the state is spending considerably less money than states ranked lower to develop safer streets.

The Catholic Center, located on Somerset Street, is home to the Women’s Group of the Catholic Student Association. The group is organizing their second RU Beautiful campaign this week, a weeklong campaign in which they put up Post-it notes around campus with positive messages and hand out gift bags with desserts and encouraging letters.
NEWS

Students launch campaign for women’s empowerment

The Women’s Group of the Catholic Student Association of Rutgers focused on Post-it noting the campus last year and putting up fliers featuring encouraging messages like “you’re loved” and “you’re desired.” The group has launched the second year of their RU Beautiful campaign, a weeklong program designed to encourage women and remind them of their worth. 

Students filled the Multipurpose Room at the Rutgers Student
Center on the College Avenue campus yesterday to watch
comedians Nicole Byer and Emily Heller.
NEWS

‘Girl Code’ artist performs stand-up comedy show

Nicole Byer of MTV’s “Girl Code” spoke last night about relationships, racial stereotypes and weight loss, shedding a comedic light on these common themes of womanhood, marking her fourth stand-up comedy performance.“Girl Code” is a female-driven comedy series, which brings viewers a series of over-the-top tips to open a dialogue about life as a woman, according to MTV’s website.

Author Nikki Stern discusses her spiritual and mental growth expressed throughout her book “Hope in Small Doses.”
NEWS

Author shares experiences on hope at book signing event

Author Nikki Stern came yesterday to the University to discuss her book “Hope in Small Doses,” which she said focused on her spiritual and mental growth following the death of her husband in 9/11. Barry Klassel, humanist chaplain of Rutgers, said the Humanist Society brought her to the University, and the American Humanist Association had recommended her.

Shockwave, an a cappella group, performs at the Involvement Fair in September at the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus. The spring fair will include performances from multiple organizations.
NEWS

Involvement week kicks off with fair

This semester marks the first time Rutgers is splitting the involvement fair into three separate fairs to overcome crowd control problem and provide students with a better overall experience. Kerri Willson, director of Student Involvement for Rutgers Student Life, said Student Life would organize “Resolve to Get Involved Week” in the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus and the Livingston Student Center.

The Delta Upsilon Fraternity raised $14,000 with the meal swipes program, breaking a record for the most raised by any Delta
Upsilon chapter internationally.
NEWS

Fraternity fundraises $14,000 for charity excursion to Jamaica

The Delta Upsilon Fraternity raised well more than their previous record of $8,000 last semester for the Global Service Initiative with their meal swipes fundraising program. Delta Upsilon President, Cosimo Laterza, announced that at the close of the fall semester they raised $14,810, shattering their goal of $10,000.

Charlie Kratovil, a New Brunswick Today editor, asks about improvements to water pumps.
NEWS

Local residents bring water quality concerns to city council

Concerned residents came to the New Brunswick City Council meeting last night to discuss recent revelations about water quality in the area. The meeting room, located in City Hall on Bayard Street, was packed with residents. The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection alleged earlier in November that the New Brunswick Water Department had been filing false data and submitting incorrectly calculated test results, according to an article previously published in The Daily Targum.

The woods surrounding the ecological preserve on Livingston campus suffered damage from Hurricane Sandy.
NEWS

U.’s preserve gives students learning space

The Rutgers University Ecological Preserve has served as a unique space for students and faculty on Livingston campus since 1976. The preserve comprises 316 acres of specifically allocated land and is a part of a larger tract of more than 400 acres of undeveloped forest, according to the Ecological Preserve’s website.

NEWS

Bone marrow drive searches for donors

Two-year-old Owen Hogan suffers from aplastic anemia, an illness caused by diseased bone marrow, resulting in a deficiency of the white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets. The Rutgers chapter of the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority hosted a bone marrow drive yesterday in their house on 21 Union St. in the hope of finding a match for Hogan, as well as finding a match for others in the process.

Bingyan Yang, left, a Rutgers Business School junior, David Wang, a School of Arts and Sciences junior and Zihuan Cao, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, participate in calligraphy during the ‘Around the World in 30 Minutes’ fair Saturday.
NEWS

Students share study abroad experiences

International and study abroad students shared their experiences Saturday and promoted international opportunities for Rutgers students. The Rutgers Center for Global Education hosted a study abroad fair called “Around the World in 30 Minutes” in the Cove at Busch Campus Center. Director of the Center for Global Education Giorgio DiMauro said returning and international exchange students presented their stories and experiences abroad at the fair.

Gamma Phi Beta hung up a banner on their building on College Avenue, welcoming Phi Mu to the Rutgers campus.
NEWS

U. to add Phi Mu sorority in spring of 2014

Sorority life is expanding at Rutgers University, and a new sorority on campus, Phi Mu, announced its plans to colonize Rutgers during spring 2014. Marissa Piloto, president of Rutgers’ Panhellenic Executive Council, said when Rutgers’ sororities find they are constantly meeting quota during their annual formal recruitments, it is time to expand.

Nick Pellitta, chairman of the Rutgers University Student Assembly Allocations Board, takes last night’s meeting to announce the assembly’s allocations for student organizations in the coming year. 
NEWS

U. CAPS, HOPE release suicide prevention app

Rutgers has used the growing smartphone market to produce a suicide prevention app that can immediately connect students to help. Students can now download an app called Just in Case. The app targets patterns of behavior associated with people at risk and provides access to all of the mental health and safety resources on campus, as well as local and national hotlines.

More Articles