By Justin Lesko

Recent Articles:

Senior Alexis Gunzelman looks to improve upon her career-high all-around score last Saturday in the Rutgers quad meet.
NEWS

Senior, Rutgers aim for consistent meet

Senior Alexis Gunzelman has had quite the up-and-down performances in the Rutgers gymnastics team’s past three meets. She earned a career-high all-around score of 39.35 on Feb. 9 at George Washington, then broke it last Saturday with a 39.4 in a quad meet at home. In between, she had a performance she would rather forget.

Freshman guard Tyler Scaife dribbles on the open floor ahead of trailing Temple defenders at the Louis Brown Athletic Center in the Knights’ 67-58 victory last night. Scaife led all scorers with 21 points on 8-for-18 shooting.
NEWS

Freshman leads RU past Owls

Rutgers women’s basketball freshman Tyler Scaife earned AAC Rookie of the Week last Monday for the fifth time in six weeks. The point guard very well may be on her way to winning the award yet again. She had a team-high 21 points in the No. 24 Scarlet Knights’ 67-58 win last night against Temple at the Louis Brown Athletic Center. Scaife scored in double-digits for the 21st time in 26 games this season.

NEWS

Knights search for power in California

It is uncertain which Rutgers softball team will show up this weekend — the one that hit five home runs in its opening tournament in San Antonio, or the team that only hit one last weekend at the Leadoff Classic in Florida. Junior outfielder Jackie Bates, who hit a home run in each tournament, thinks this season’s team will ultimately be the former.

Center fielder Bates earned tournament MVP with a home run and three doubles.
NEWS

Knights lack power in Fla. tournament

The Rutgers softball team left the NFCA Division I Leadoff Classic on Sunday with two wins in five games, as the Scarlet Knights could not find the power they showed the previous weekend. Junior centerfielder Jackie Bates hit the Knights’ sole home run in Clearwater, Fla. Last weekend, Rutgers (5-5) went deep five times, leading to three wins.

Senior Alexis Gunzelman finished with a meet-high 9.875 on the beam. She finished with a career-high 39.4 in the all-around.
NEWS

Senior posts career high in all-around

More than 1,100 spectators filled the Livingston Gym on Saturday to watch the Rutgers gymnastics team finish second with a score of 194.575 in a quad meet with Penn State, Ursinius and Temple. The record crowd did not go unnoticed to head coach Louis Levine. “The energy level was amazing,” he said. “Having a full house is a great thing and the girls feed off of it and then the crowd feeds off the girls and it’s a great cycle.”

NEWS

Rutgers returns to home gym to host regional rivals

The Rutgers gymnastics team can finally unpack its bags. The Scarlet Knights return to the Livingston Gym tomorrow for the first time in nearly a month after competing on the road in their previous three meets. “It is really exciting,” senior Alexis Gunzelman said of competing at home. “I think it’s going to help because it’s somewhere that we are comfortable with and that we know the crowd, we know the equipment. So I think it’s going to be really good for us.”

Junior left hander Alyssa Landrith redeemed her 4-2 loss against Colorado State Friday to toss a one-hitter Sunday against UTSA.
NEWS

Knights bring ace pitching to Florida

Still confined to indoor facilities in the Louis Brown Athletic Center and the Bubble across from High Point Solutions Stadium, the Rutgers softball team is relishing the chance to play outside. The Scarlet Knights (3-2) begin another five-game tournament tomorrow in Clearwater, Fla., beginning with a doubleheader against James Madison (5-5) and Charleston (3-4).

Junior outfielder Chandler Howard hit two home runs in RU’s opening weekend, including a three-run shot yesterday.
NEWS

Rutgers flexes power with five home runs in San Antonio

If there was one thing lacking from the Rutgers softball team’s 30-win season last year, it was power. The top-two home run hitters in the nation each had 30, while the Scarlet Knights had 28 as a team. Returning their three top hitters from a year ago, the Knights hit five home runs in five games in their opening weekend of play.

Senior Alexis Gunzelman, above, said freshman Charly Santagado’s work ethic is reminiscent of when Gunzelman was a rookie.
NEWS

Maccabiah Games meet pays dividends for rookie

For many, three road meets in a row is a tiring sequence. For Rutgers gymnastics freshman Charly Santagado, trips to Texas and Washington, D.C., are nothing compared to her visit to the 19th Maccabiah Games last July. The distance from her home in Florida to Jerusalem is over 6,500 miles point-to-point. It was well worth it as she earned four medals in the games known as the Jewish Olympics.

Senior Alexis Gunzelman earned a career-high 39.35 all-around score as the Knights faced injuries to juniors Luisa Leal and bars specialist Emma Hoffman.
NEWS

Program-record vault score leads to Rutgers win in tri-meet

What a difference a week made for the Rutgers gymnastics team. The Scarlet Knights responded to their first loss of the season with their highest vault score in program history Sunday and a career day from senior Alexis Gunzelman. Their team score of 194.5 in Washington, D.C., was enough to top William & Mary’s 194.375.

Sophomore Jenna Williams said the Knights treated every practice this week as if it were a meet in preparation for Sunday’s meet at George Washington.
NEWS

Injuries change Knights’ demeanor for DC meet

Uncertainty surrounds the Rutgers gymnastics team as Sunday in Washington, D.C., it attempts to bounce back from its first loss of the season. Junior Luisa Leal landed on her back coming off the uneven bars last Saturday at Texas Woman’s, keeping her out for the team’s remaining three events. Junior Emma Hoffman was also injured, taking Leal’s place on floor exercise.

Sophomore guard Kahleah Copper scored 12 of her 14 points in the second half. She played 30 minutes despite an ankle injury.
NEWS

Copper comes off bench in victory

For the first time this season, sophomore guard Kahleah Copper was on the bench for tipoff. She was favoring her ankle in the Rutgers women’s basketball team’s 66-48 victory over Memphis last Saturday, a game in which she only played 16 minutes. Copper, who leads the team in scoring, averaged just less than 30 minutes per game in 21 starts entering last night’s matchup.

NEWS

RU aims to fix errors to tie program-best start

According to Rutgers head gymnastics coach Louis Levine, the Scarlet Knights cannot compete with the best teams in the country if they continue to put up performances like in last Friday’s victory against Brown. The Knights have not lost all season en route to their best start since 1978, but scored under 195 for the first time this season against the bears.

Following a season-ending injury in RU’s second meet of 2013, senior Jenna Zito has proved a leader on and off the floor.
NEWS

Captain returns from heel injury

For a college athlete, especially one without professional or Olympic aspirations, their senior year is supposed to be a time to turn their experience into their best performances as they play the sport they have dedicated their lives to for the last time. Jenna Zito’s senior season for the Rutgers gymnastics team followed that path at the start of 2013.

Freshamn point guard Tyler Scaife scored a season-high 25 points on 10-for-16 shooting. Scaife played 37 minutes.
NEWS

Freshman leads scorers after poor performance

Freshman Tyler Scaife only shot 1-for-9, scoring 2 points, in the Rutgers women’s basketball team’s game at Temple last Saturday. She earned a vote of confidence from head coach C. Vivian Stringer and it paid off, albeit it in a 80-71 loss to No. 5 Louisville. “One, I knew she had a migraine [against Temple] and, two, when a player demonstrates on a consistent basis, which she did, then you’re more likely to go back to them,” Stringer said.

Senior Alexis Gunzelman has been a consistent starter for the past four years. She is performing all-around this season.
NEWS

Co-captain refuses to be complacent

Many athletes are elated following a career performance in front of a home crowd, especially when their team came out with a win. Following the Rutgers gymnastics team’s win Friday against Brown, senior Alexis Gunzelman was not. “She obviously had a great meet, but it’s more than just one person,” said head coach Louis Levine yesterday.

Senior Alexis Gunzelman led Rutgers with 9.725 on the beam, an event Knights struggled in Friday against Brown.
NEWS

RU escapes with home win despite beam woes

In its poorest outing to date, the No. 18 Rutgers gymnastics team snuck a win out to continue its perfect season. An uncharacteristically weak performance on the balance beam led to a team score of 193.025 to Brown University’s 190.625. The Scarlet Knights (6-0) came short of a 195 score for the first time this season.“You can’t struggle as bad as we did on beam and expect to put up a 195,” said head coach Louis Levine. “Really it comes down to that one event.

Gunzelman has performed well all-around, compiling a high score of 39.250.
NEWS

RU brings hot streak to home meet

The No. 18 Rutgers gymnastics team welcomes Brown University tonight looking for its best start since the team opened 7-0 in 1978. The Scarlet Knights will be without freshman April Baker due to an undisclosed injury. Head coach Louis Levine was tight-lipped when discussing it. “She’s going to be out for a little while, not really sure how long,” Levine said.

Junior Luisa Leal has recovered from a heart disease, broken foot and sprained neck to help lead Rutgers.
NEWS

Junior leads Knights with strong scores

Often described by head coach Louis Levine as one of the best gymnasts in the country, junior Luisa Leal has lived up to that billing in her first healthy season since her freshman year. Her all-around performance is a key factor in the No. 18 Rutgers gymnastics team’s third 5-0 start in program history and first since 1994. Leal currently holds the second highest all-around average in the Northeast region and 20th best in the country, with a 39.200 in Monday’s most recent rankings.

More Articles