By Kaitlin D'Agostino

Recent Articles:

NEWS

Be informed before voting on RUSA ballot

As you may have noticed, the United States Student Association is on the ballot this year for referendum. However, what supporting USSA means for Rutgers has not been presented as a two-sided argument, and as an alumna of the program, I would like to state my views on the organization to help you decide how to vote on the ballot.

NEWS

Corrupt corporations should be critically analyzed

Americans everywhere both marveled and broke out in anger over Coca-Cola’s Super Bowl commercial this year and its broad support for our country’s ethnic and linguistic diversity. Some were incredibly glad to see the United States portrayed in the media as multicultural and multilingual, while others were shocked and appalled at this image of the U.S. speaking languages other than English, and showcasing people other than the white population.

NEWS

“Going green” should benefit community, not administrators

It is completely and utterly obvious that the tuition that continues to increase is not being put to intentions of our interests as students. Instead of receiving increased services, the libraries are open fewer hours on the weekends, the dining halls have closed earlier, and the once frequent and accessible LX busses are now clogged with students — whereas students hoping to go back to Cook and Douglass campuses on the REXLs are nearly fighting for their lives to get home.

NEWS

Divest from fossil fuels

Rutgers is one of the top universities in the country in terms of sustainable practices. With single-stream recycling, parking lots equipped with solar panels, hydration stations to reduce non-reusable plastic bottle use and the many other practices that we use every day to save the environment, we set a bar for the rest of the country and the rest of the world for sustainable practices. However, after Bill McKibben, the founder of 350.org, an international environmental organization building a global grassroots movement, came to Rutgers, it was clear what our next step must be: divestment from fossil fuels.

NEWS

End fracking everywhere

There was an excellent editorial in The Daily Targum on Feb. 23 about a New York judge’s ruling to allow Dryden, a town in upstate New York, to ban fracking.  But, in the last line of the editorial, there was a sentiment expressed that seemed senseless and out of place, stating, “fracking may be deemed appropriate for certain areas.” I wholeheartedly disagree — as a public-water activist, this is not true.

More Articles