By Matthew Matilsky

Recent Articles:

Experts discuss the impact Super PACs can have in campaign financing last night in the Busch Campus Center.
NEWS

Super PAC members evaluate economic influence on elections

Commentators from both sides of the political spectrum debated in the Busch Campus Center Tuesday over the impact of Political Action Committees and the millions they donate to political candidates. The panel, hosted by the Eagleton Institute of Politics, included two Republican and two Democratic speakers who spoke about the clash between unions, corporations and a new system known as Super PACs. “I wish I could say it’s a pleasure to talk about the presence of Super PACs in the elections. It’s not,” said Jefrey Pollock, founding partner and president of priorities USA action, a pro-Barack Obama Super PAC.

NEWS

Contracts disatisfy part-time lecturers

A part-time lecturer accused the University of being unfair toward part-time employees in a YouTube video, which was eventually shared on Twitter by former University football team players, Ray Rice and Khaseem Greene. His business card reads “Rabbi Dr. Bernhard H. Rosenberg,” professor at Yeshiva University and part-time lecturer in the Department of Communication at the University.

Loree Hall gymnasium on Douglass campus was built in 1963. The building, named after a University alumnus and donor, still stands next to the property where?Leonor Fresnel Loree lived.
NEWS

U. history embedded in gymnasium under Loree

Picture this — girls in uniform, gray dresses lined up in rows in front of a six-lane bowling alley and barefoot dancers analyzing their form in front of a wall-sized mirror in a brightly lit dance studio. This is not a scene that students and faculty would associate with Loree Hall on Douglass campus, but during the 1960s, it was a common one. The abandoned bowling alley and gymnasium in the basement of Loree Hall are standing reminders of cultural changes at the University since the founding of Douglass College.

NEWS

American studies introduces new minor, course

The Department of American Studies is offering a new minor starting this semester that examines and questions ethnic categories. The Comparative and Critical Race and Ethnic Studies minor will explore traits and similarities between cultures and distinguish between race and ethnicity, said Allan Isaac, an associate professor in the Department of American Studies.

NEWS

Medical expert urges cheaper health care for local families

The executive director for Camden Coalition of Health Care Providers, Jeffrey Brenner, is going after the “1 percent” of the health care industry. Brenner discussed the spending issues of hospitals and medical specialists as well as his plan to solve this problem in Camden yesterday at the University Institute of Health Care policy and Aging Research in downtown New Brunswick. “If you draw a circle around hospitals, they are the unit of accountability,” he said.

NEWS

Ex-NFL champ speaks on Judaism

Wearing a Super Bowl ring on his finger and a yarmulke on his head, Alan Veingrad said his experience as an ex-player for professional football teams Green Bay Packers and the Dallas Cowboys offers him a unique view on Jewish traditions.  The former professional football player spoke yesterday morning on the relationship between the athletic and spiritual aspects of his life at Young Israel of East Brunswick, a modern orthodox synagogue.

Ilya Raskin, a plant biology and pathology professor, shares his
research on chemicals in blueberries last night on Douglass campus.
Some nutrients found in the fruit may help reduce blood glucose
levels in humans. 
NEWS

Professor finds chemicals to treat type 2 diabetes

Blueberries could help treat type 2 diabetes, said Ilya Raskin, a University professor of plant biology and pathology. Blueberries contain chemical compounds called bioflavonoids, which lower blood glucose levels in mice and humans, he said yesterday at a Department of Nutritional Sciences lecture on Douglass campus. Bioflavonoids are part of a larger group of plant chemicals called phytochemicals—known for their disease-preventative properties—which Raskin studies.

Walking while wearing headphones and crossing in the wrong
places can be potentially dangerous, according to a recent
University of Maryland study.
NEWS

Study finds dangers of walking with headphones

Injuries among pedestrians wearing headphones have more than tripled in the last six years, according to a University of Maryland study. Dr. Richard Lichenstein, an associate professor in the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, said the increase of headphone-related incidents between 2004 and 2011 points to an issue similar to driving while texting or otherwise impaired.

NEWS

City council passes bike ordinance with changes

New Brunswick residents clashed with city officials at a city council meeting last night, after council members passed an ordinance prohibiting cyclists 12 years or older from riding on the sidewalk and requiring bikes to have bells. Under the ordinance, cyclists charged with riding on the sidewalk will be fined $25 for the first offense occurring in a year, and $50 to $100 for the second, third and further violations within the year.

NEWS

‘Big Chill’ 5k collects gifts for needy children

The “Big Chill 5K Race” plans to warm up thousands of participants, as well as the hearts of underprivileged children. At least 6,500 participants this year signed up for the race on Saturday beginning in front of the College Avenue Gym, said Diane Bonanno, executive director of Recreation at the University. As an entry requirement, they will have to donate toys that will be given as gifts to underprivileged children. “Normally when you give a child a gift, they tear it open,” Bonanno said.

University students speed network with alumni last night in the
Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus and shift
partners every three minutes for a total of 20 rounds.
NEWS

Students make quick links with U. alumni

Career Services added a professional twist last night to the traditional speed matchmaking process. Instead of finding a love match, some students walked out with career-related connections from University alumni. The fifth annual speed networking event gave students a chance to meet alumni in a fast-paced setting at the Rutgers Student Center Multipurpose Room, said Eugene Gentile, co-chair of the undergraduate committee for the Rutgers Alumni Association.

Students pinpoint potentially dangerous areas of the College
Avenue campus last night during an “R U?Safe?” event blending
statistical data and students’ perceptions to determine where they
felt vulnerable to crime on campus.
NEWS

App maps out campus danger zones

Participants in the crime prevention event “R U Safe?” created a map of the College Avenue campus last night, highlighting areas most prone to crime using a smartphone application called “Mobile Mappler.” Designed by Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy lecturer Wansoo Im, the app allows users to select areas where they feel vulnerable to crime, said Jerilyn Krakower, coordinator of “R U Safe?”

Kathryn Ott, assistant professor of Christian social ethics at
Drew University, talks about two societal perspectives on sexuality
last night at the Trinity House on the College Avenue campus.
NEWS

Expert explores Christian views on modern sexuality

While sitting with University students last night, Kathryn Ott, assistant professor of Christian social ethics at Drew University, discussed the dynamic relationship between sex and Christianity. Over tea and cookies in the dining room at the Trinity house on the College Avenue campus, Ott framed the talk around two so-called “myths” of sexuality, including “hook-up culture” and planned abstinence.

NEWS

Super Committee cuts threaten higher education budget

After the Super Committee’s failure to make appropriate spending cuts, an unspecified amount of federal funding for higher education will be slashed during the 2012-2013 school year. The Congressional Budget Office has estimated that the automatic spending cuts will reduce most non-defense discretionary spending, like federal student aid, by 7.8 percent in fiscal year 2013 alone, according to fastweb.com, a website that provides resources for paying for college.

Solar powered parking meters installed between Elm Row and
Bayard Street in New Brunswick now accept credit card payments.
NEWS

City accepts credit card payment at new meters

The New Brunswick Parking Authority is in its first stage of testing solar-powered credit card machines on parking meters that line downtown streets to determine their reliability in terms of function and accuracy. Robert Garcia, Director of Operations for the New Brunswick Parking Authority, said the city wants to determine if the machines — 56 of which are fixed on top of meters on Bayard Street and Elm Row — would convenience the Parking Authority and residents during the 90-day free trial.

Members of the Sigma Delta Tau sorority perform their dance
routine Saturday during the last day of the “Derby Days”
competition at the Livingston Recreation Center.
NEWS

‘Derby Days’ surpasses $100K goal

After a week of competition and fundraising, Sigma Chi fraternity beat their previous record by earning a total $167,000 at the end the “Derby Days” competition.“We blew last year’s record out of the water,” said Sagar Shah, “Derby Days” chairman at Sigma Chi.

NEWS

Hillel, bone marrow foundation search for donors

The Gift of Life Bone Marrow Foundation joined hands with Rutgers Hillel to look out for possible bone marrow donors in University students.“What Hillel’s trying to do is bring students together to give back to the community. By partnering with us, we’re helping them to do so by holding a bone marrow drive,” said Shayne Pilpel, lead recruitment coordinator for the foundation.

NEWS

Students strive to expand Dance Marathon goals

With Dance Marathon still four months and 24 days away, preparation is in full force for the student-run philanthropy event which has raised more than $2 million in the past 12 years for the Embrace Kids Foundation.Andrea Poppiti, constituent liaison for recruitment for Dance Marathon, said she and the other directors are most concerned with improving their effort to help sick children.

NEWS

Fraternity aspires to gain official status

Sigma Pi, a fraternity trying to make its way back onto campus, will offer young men interested in greek life an opportunity to impact the University and shape the fraternity in its earliest stages. The group of students, with help from the Sigma Pi national chapter and alumni, hopes to recruit members and reach chapter status as founding members create their identity at the University.

NEWS

License plate scans foster police activity

Select police vehicles in Middlesex County, since last month, have units mounted on the trunks of patrol cars that collectively scanned more than 370,000 license plates in sight, said Ronald Rios, freeholder deputy director in Middlesex County. More than 4,000 of these led to police activity including a narcotics arrest, recovery of a stolen car and confiscation of two false identification cards, he said.

More Articles