By Rashmee Kumar

Recent Articles:

NEWS

Racial humor can serve to spark intercultural dialogue

When I first watched an episode of “Outsourced” back in 2010, I was really excited to finally see a bunch of brown people on primetime television. However, the show, which is about a white guy who is sent to India to manage a customer service call center, quickly devolved into stereotype after stereotype where a white man takes on the burden of educating Indian people about American culture while trying to adapt to a strange foreign land.

NEWS

Hair removal commercials promote body-shaming culture

Veet, a hair removal brand famous for its depilatory cream, released a series of commercials last week to promote its wax strips under the tagline “Don’t risk dudeness.” In each clip, white women are shamed for their leg or armpit hair by a boyfriend, a taxi driver and a nail salon worker. Upon being discovered that they have unkempt body hair, the women turn into the same large, hairy man. The man is wearing the women’s clothing and apologetically says in a woman’s voice, “I shaved yesterday.”

NEWS

Complexities of cultural appropriation often missed

Cultural appropriation has been the buzzword of popular-culture critique in the last few years. The American media and consumer culture uproot cultural symbols and practices, which originate outside the West, and adopt them into American culture as diluted markers of what is cool. Urban Outfitters sells “Navajo-patterned” shirts and dresses.

NEWS

Duke porn star complicates discourse on pornography, sex work

Trigger warning: This column contains references to adult content. A few weeks ago, a Duke University freshman wrote a piece for XOJane.com defending her decision to become a pornographic actress to pay for her tuition after a classmate discovered her alter ego online and exposed her to the school’s greek community.

NEWS

Media representations display dating preferences

As part of my senior thesis on analyzing representations of South Asian-American women in the media, I have been watching “The Mindy Project,” the first U.S. sitcom to feature an Indian-American as the lead character. While I applaud actress Mindy Kaling for bringing visibility to the ever-increasing U.S. South Asian population, I find the show’s commentary on race and sexual desire to be pretty problematic.

NEWS

Communication necessary for journalistic creativity

My beloved Targum — how you never fail to stir up controversy semester after semester. With that Tyler Clementi editorial debacle back in 2010 or a microcosmic version of the Israel-Palestine conflict played out across the Opinions page or the cheeky piece on V-Day cunnilingus, The Daily Targum has pissed off many and pleased few.

NEWS

Commodity feminism misleading the mainstream

Popular culture has gotten a hold of the word “feminism” and refuses to let it go. In the last year or so, it seems like everyone — from famous celebrities to multimillion-dollar corporations — is suddenly down with the cause. Pantene puts out a video denouncing gender inequality in the workplace. Dove examines beauty norms to show women that they are more beautiful than they think.

NEWS

Miss America proves we don’t live in post-racial society

Yesterday morning, I woke up and grabbed my iPhone to check Facebook just like any other day. As I looked at my news feed, I noticed that 10 of my friends posted a link to a Buzzfeed post that had compiled several racist and Islamophobic tweets regarding Nina Davuluri, the first Indian-American winner of the Miss America beauty pageant, which happened Sunday in Atlantic City, N.J.

NEWS

Sex-positive feminism cloaks patriarchal notions

From the promiscuous brigade of “Slutwalkers” to Femen, the topless white saviors of womankind, sexual liberation is resurging as a means for women to have authority over their sexualities, thus wresting control from men who have long possessed female sexuality for their own self-serving purposes.

NEWS

Documentary analyzes history of Indian cuisine

From between the flaky folds of a lentil flatbread, a Toronto professor and video artist uncovers issues of identity, culture and diaspora in his latest documentary. Richard Fung will present “Dal Puri Diaspora” tomorrow at 7 p.m. at the Livingston Student Center, in an event hosted by the Collective for Asian American Studies. Fung said he made the documentary after becoming interested in the migration of staple foods.

NEWS

Embrace foreign films

The 85th Academy Awards are this Sunday, and though I frequented the movie theater a grand total of three times in 2012, I am always curious to see what films of the past year are deemed worthy enough to receive notoriety from the infamous Academy Awards committee. But this time I’m not interested in which movie got the most nominations or which actors and actresses are vying for a golden statue. Nope, for me it’s all about the foreign films.

NEWS

Vegan sex does not sell

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is the animal-rights group we love to hate. When they’re not revealing disturbing footage of sickly, mutilated chickens and pigs in factory farms, they’re revealing women’s bodies to tempt you to “go veg.” In their latest advertisement campaign, a skinny girl in a neck brace struggles to walk home, clutching a bag of vegetables in one hand while keeping her jacket from showing that she’s only wearing a bra and underwear.

Actor Adrian Grenier presents his documentary “Teenage
Paparazzo” at the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue
campus Friday as a way to open dialogue on the media and consumer
culture.
NEWS

‘Entourage’ star dissects obsession with celebrities

Despite his success as the star of HBO’s “Entourage,” Adrian Grenier told a crowd of about 300 people on Friday that he was never comfortable with his celebrity status.The actor reflected on the media’s obsession with Hollywood royalty through the Rutgers University Programming Association screening of his documentary “Teenage Paparazzo” at the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus.

Economics Professor Mark Killingsworth speaks in front of more
than 150 School of Arts and Sciences faculty members in support of
transparency of the University’s intercollegiate athletic
budget.
NEWS

Faculty supports athletic budget cuts

School of Arts and Sciences faculty members passed a resolution calling for more transparency in the University’s intercollegiate athletics program budget yesterday, with an overwhelming majority of 174 to 3 at Voorhees Hall on the College Avenue campus. The resolution also calls for a reduction of the University subsidy to the athletic program and a student referendum on the portion of student fees allocated to athletics, said Mark Killingsworth, a professor in the Department of Economics.

Ellen Whitt, an Occupy New Brunswick member, rallies for the
officers involved in the Barry Deloatch shooting to be charged
Thursday at the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office.
NEWS

Occupiers plan rally for upcoming month

While some New Brunswick occupiers were happy with the success of Thursday’s Barry Deloatch rally, the city’s lack of response encouraged the group to plan further actions and future rallies. More than 20 members of Occupy New Brunswick exchanged ideas on various city-related issues Friday at the general assembly meeting at Scott Hall on the College Avenue campus.

More Articles