By Sabrina Szteinbaum

Recent Articles:

Julie Hermann, director of Intercollegiate Athletics, speaks at the RUSA meeting held last night.
NEWS

Julie Hermann looks at future of athletics

The Rutgers University Student Assembly invited Richard Edwards, executive vice president of Academic Affairs, and Julie Hermann, director of Intercollegiate Athletics, to speak at last night’s meeting at the Student Activities Center. Hermann discussed the future of the Athletic Department while Edwards talked over student needs.

Dessert prepared using mint chocolate chip, chocolate chip and strawberry ice cream.
FOOD

How to make the best dining hall ice cream sandwiches

This dessert is surely not for those who are trying to tread lightly in the sugar department, though in the midst of those mid-semester blues that tend to set in with exams, work and the (all too) distant thought of summer, these ice cream sandwiches are sure to cheer you up. Basically, grab any two (or six) cookies off the line and scoop your favorite ice cream in between, pressing the cookies down to flatten the sandwich slightly.

Samir Shubeits speaks at the ‘28th Annual Laboratory for Surface Modification Symposium-Advances in Nanoscale Materials Imaging.’
NEWS

Rutgers receives two world-class microscopes

As of Friday, Rutgers University is officially the home to two world-class microscopes, valued at $5.2 million together. Leonard Feldman, director of the Rutgers Institute for Advanced Materials, Devices and Nanotechnology, said Friday’s event, “28th Annual Laboratory for Surface Modification Symposium-Advances in Nanoscale Materials Imaging,” hosted by the Laboratory for Surface Modification, saw an outstanding turnout from both the University community and the community at large.

NEWS

Students debate Rice’s invitation

Rutgers University Student Assembly representatives voted 25-17 in favor of the Board of Governor’s decision to invite Condoleezza Rice to speak at this year’s commencement at last night’s meeting. Prior to the vote, members of the Rutgers University Debate Union took on the issue of whether or not Rice’s invitation to speak at commencement should be rescinded.

NEWS

Rutgers responds to education affordability

Earlier this month, President Barack Obama released his budget, which includes initiatives to improve education from early childhood through college, according to a White House press release. The president announced the launch of a new Free Application for Federal Student Aid Completion Initiative to make sure American high school seniors are completing the FAFSA by supporting individual school districts in the coming year.

Rane Johnson-Stempson speaks about increasing roles of women in the workplace at the Busch Campus Center.
NEWS

Microsoft employee talks women in field of research

Rane Johnson-Stempson, the Education and Scholarly Communication principal research director at Microsoft Corporation, said she should not be working in Microsoft research. The reason she got the job, she said, is because she took a risk — she asked the vice president of Microsoft research to hire her after working closely with him for two years.

Panelists hold an open forum to discuss legalization of the sale and possession of marijuana.
NEWS

Panelists, student discuss legalization of marijuana

Politics has polarized the issue of marijuana legalization and created two stark sides on an issue that, in actuality, has a strong middle ground, said Steven Liga, part-time lecturer in the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy. New Jersey Sen. Nicholas Scutari (D-Union) has submitted a bill for introduction on Monday that would legalize the sale and possession of marijuana, according to nj.com.

NEWS

Students raise public support to advocate for GMO labels

Brian Franklin, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, spent his spring break knocking on doors around the state to encourage citizens to support the labeling of foods that contain genetically modified ingredients. Franklin, along with about 10 other Rutgers students who worked to raise public support for this issue, learned that 70 to 80 percent of food consumed in this country is genetically modified, Franklin said, including the majority corn and soybeans.

NEWS

City of New Brunswick releases police jurisdiction maps

The New Brunswick Police Department has released the current Memorandums of Understanding with the Rutgers University Police Department, as well as MOU’s since 1990 after a request made by Charles Kratovil, editor of New Brunswick Today, according to a press release from NBPD Captain J.T. Miller.

The apricot and grilled chicken salad, topped with celery and onions, can be eaten on its own or on bread.
FOOD

Fresh food alternatives available at dining halls

It isn’t very convenient for us students to incorporate fruits and vegetables into our daily diets away at college. Often on the run, with the temptation of take-out or the other greasy fast food options available around here, what’s the incentive to choose something fresh? Here’s why — With 70 percent of college students gaining an average of 12 pounds by graduation, making healthier choices once in a while could keep you fit and trim for your future.

Author Michael Birkner speaks at the Eagleton Institute of Politics on Douglass campus.
NEWS

Author discusses history of NJ governors

Looking back at the governors of New Jersey, Michael Birkner said very little scandal surrounds governorship, and no New Jersey governor has ever been impeached for crimes or misdemeanors. Though recent scandal may exist around Gov. Chris Christie, Birkner said it is too soon to write Christie off as a 2016 presidential contender. Birkner, author and editor of “The Governors of New Jersey: Biographical Essays,” spoke yesterday at the Eagleton Institute of Politics about the second edition of the book, which is an updated version of its 1974 counterpart.

NEWS

Strategic Plan calls for business collaboration

The Rutgers Strategic Plan, a five-year roadmap that plans to help the University become one of the country’s premier public institutions, calls for Rutgers to collaborate and create relationships with businesses across the University. According to the Office of Research and Economic Development’s website, Rutgers already offers research centers, licensing technology, facilities and equipment, along with students and academic programs to businesses in New Jersey and beyond. The facilities provide businesses a variety of services.

Ana Baptista, director of environmental and planning programs for the Irobound Community Corporation, discussed pollution in cities such as Newark, Trenton and Camden at the “Environmental Justice, Advocacy and the Media” program last night at Alexander Library on the College Avenue campus.
NEWS

Experts advocate environmental justice

America’s dirty little secret is environmental injustice, said Ana Baptista, director of environmental and planning programs for the Ironbound Community Corporation. Baptista gave the keynote address at yesterday’s Environmental Justice, Advocacy and the Media conference, hosted by The Citizens Campaign at Alexander Library on the College Avenue campus.

Finalists of the “Supporting Emerging Entrepreneurs Development” from 2010, contributed business or business ideas for the contest.
NEWS

Contest invites women entrepreneurs

Christopher Pflaum, was curious to find out why there were not many women entrepreneurs in the world. To see this potential become a reality, he decided to spearhead the collaboration between Rutgers University and the Central New Jersey chapter of the National Association of Women Business Owners to hold an entrepreneurship contest for women.

David Bills, associate director for Career Development, speaks about internships and career opportunities at the School of Arts and Sciences Honors Program Office.
NEWS

Career Services helps Rutgers students evaluate interests

David Bills, associate director for Career Development, said even with more than 100 majors available at Rutgers University, some students might not find their dream major. If students find themselves uninspired by what is available, Bills said they should understand that while their major is important, it may not necessarily reflect the job they might end up in.

Yamiesha Bell, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, spoke at last night’s I.D.E.A Week panel.
NEWS

Campaign creates awareness to celebrate social justice at Rutgers

Yamiesha Bell hated the color of her skin when she was younger, but after watching the movie “Roots” with her father, she became proud of her African-American identity. Bell, School of Arts and Sciences junior, was a panelist at night’s I.D.E.A. Week panel at the Douglass Campus Center. I.D.E.A. Week, or Intersectionality, Diversity and Equity Awareness Week, is an awareness campaign that seeks to celebrate social justice activism at Rutgers and encourage Rutgers students to learn about modern social issues.

NEWS

Rutgers called upon to help address health care problems

Gov. Chris Christie has called upon Rutgers to help address the problem of health care and its cost in New Jersey, which Joel Cantor views as a vote of confidence for the University. “It’s really a vote of confidence that he thinks that the health care experts at Rutgers can help address this problem, and I think it’s something we’re going to take very seriously, said Cantor, director of Rutgers Center for State Health Policy.

More Articles

Recent Media:

A Thai peanut chicken salad, topped with peanut sauce and prepared at Brower Commons.
FOOD

.

More Media