Camilo Montoya-Galvez

Recent Articles:

Democratic Candidate in the race for New Jersey governor, Phil Murphy, sat down for an exclusive interview with The Daily Targum to discuss policies regarding immigration and economics.
NEWS

Exclusive Interview: In final days of campaign, Phil Murphy takes strong stance on DACA

As election day approaches, Phil Murphy, the Democratic contender for New Jersey governor, spoke at a local New Brunswick restaurant in an attempt to spread a message to make sure voters, including millennials, turn out to the polls. In an interview with The Daily Targum, the former ambassador to Germany and Goldman Sachs executive vowed to address the rising costs of college tuition, protect young undocumented immigrants in the state and challenge certain policies of the administration of President Donald J.

At a New Brunswick food pantry, rapidly declining attendance has become a source of concern for organizers. In the last few months alone, more than 50 families suddenly stopped showing up.
NEWS

At local New Brunswick food pantry, declining attendance concerns organizers

In the basement of an annex of the historic Christ Episcopal Church in New Brunswick, New Jersey — where the third public reading of the Declaration of Independence is believed to have taken place in the summer of 1776 — hungry families have been finding assistance for almost 20 years. Residents of the city and of the surrounding area who are struggling to find a job or whose low income fails to finance all of their daily necessities come to the Christ Church Food Pantry to make sure their families do not go hungry.  In this makeshift, yet organized pantry, attendees have access to fish filets, chicken breasts, eggs, canned and fresh vegetables, fruits, dry staples like pasta and rice and even baby products. Judith Kuldinow, the pantry’s director, said many members of the local community rely on about 4,000 pounds of food that the pantry receives from donations and various suppliers like the Community Food Bank of New Jersey each month. “There are a lot of people that are living below the poverty line in New Brunswick,” she said.

United Muslim Relief held a volleyball game in the College Avenue Gymnasium over the weekend to provide food, water, healthcare and housing to Syrian refugees.
NEWS

United Muslim Relief holds volleyball game to raise money for Syrian refugees

With her 8-year-old sister beside her, Zena Khoudeir, 21, watched several amateur teams face off in intense volleyball matches — all to raise funds for refugees of Syria, her parents’ native country. It was because of this personal connection that Khoudeir said she drove to the College Avenue campus gym on Sunday afternoon from her home in Princeton, New Jersey, to join dozens of Rutgers students for a volleyball tournament organized by the campus chapter of the national non-profit United Muslim Relief. “It’s amazing that there are people who do want to help us and that want to help them,” she said.

New Jersey medical student Anastasia Bogdanovski represented Macedonia in the 2016 Summer Olympics in swimming.
NEWS

Rutgers student represents Macedonia in Rio Olympics

Born and raised in New Jersey, Anastasia Bogdanovski never expected to be an Olympic athlete — let alone the flag bearer of a country of more than two million. Representing her parents’ native country, Macedonia, Bogdanovski swam in the women’s 200-meter freestyle at the 2016 Olympics Games in Rio de Janeiro.

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump speaks as his running mate Indiana Governor Mike Pence looks on (R) while meeting with local labor leaders and union members during a campaign stop in Brook Park, Ohio, U.S. September 5, 2016.  REUTERS/Mike Segar
NEWS

Rutgers University College Republicans decline to endorse Trump

The list of Republican politicians and organizations refusing to support the Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump continues to climb. Joining a significant number of college groups across the country, the Rutgers Republicans are abstaining from endorsing Trump’s candidacy in the 2016 presidential election, citing a lack of agreement among members.

NEWS

Rutgers remembers active member of the community

A Rutgers–New Brunswick student and active member of the University’s Muslim community died on Tuesday. Harris Farooq Zakariya, a School of Arts and Sciences computer science major, was from Edison, N.J, according to a statement sent to students by chancellor Richard L.

More Articles

Recent Media:

The municipal ID program, which launched this week, offers identification to residents that can be used in city buildings, schools and police departments. 
NEWS

With 500 undocumented students enrolled at Rutgers, the recently-announced repeal of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Act (DACA) could have significant repercussions at Rutgers. The University's president and chancellor have both issued statements condemning the president's choice to terminate the program.
NEWS

In an exclusive interview with The Daily Targum, Congressman Frank Pallone (D-N.J) talked about the upcoming gubernatorial elections in the context of today’s national political climate. Pallone is currently serving his 15th term in the House of Representatives.
NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

An estimated 750,000 individuals in the United States are under protection from deportation by the DACA act, and 450 attending Rutgers. Under the new administrations, students are concerned that DACA will be repealed and they will be subject to deportation.
NEWS

Jennifer Bradshaw, the public information officer for New Brunswick noted that the city was built up immigrants, but that the police department would still adhere to all policies set forth by local and federal governments.
NEWS

David Robinson (above) is the state climatologist of New Jersey, and a Rutgers professor. He said the climate change debate essentially boils down to political alignments, economics and religion. 
NEWS

Eddy Iturbide, left, Carimer Andujar and Sergio Abreu started a group, UndocuRutgers, to help undocumented immigrants who need help with their time on campus.
NEWS

Several young men and women from various African nations visited Rutgers to learn leadership skills as part of a State Department fellowship program.
NEWS

The family of German-Nieto Cruz, a 21-year-old New Brunswick man who was arrested during an immigration raid in January, reflects on that night. Left to right: Maria Aguilar, Alexandra Nieto-Cruz, Emma Cruz and Antonino Nieto.
NEWS

The Rutgers chapter of the American String Teachers Association works with New Brunswick High School students every week to teach them music.
NEWS

Students prayed during the weekly service hosted by Rutgers Jumu’ah. This past Friday, the group also had their “bring a friend” day, which occurs once a semester and lets non-Muslims learn more about the religion.
NEWS

The New Brunswick Free Public Library hosts an “English as a Second Language” program where Rutgers students and other members of the city community teach immigrants the English langauge several times a week.
NEWS

Maria Espinal, one of the custodians at Alexander Library on College Avenue campus, has worked at Rutgers for 15 years. Her daughter attended the University, graduating in 2002.
NEWS

More Media