Kaan Jon Boztepe

Recent Articles:

Kaan Jon Boztepe is a School of Arts and Sciences senior double majoring in philosophy and history. His column, "Kaanotations," runs on alternate Tuesdays.
OPINION

BOZTEPE: Freud provides insight into our consciousness

Freud argued that the dual-system model of the mind was the most plausible explanation for how our consciousness works. Although his intuitions are often criticized today, his theories made waves in the psychological community and helped to lay the foundation, upon which all of modern psychology has been built.  

OPINION

BOZTEPE: You can fight back against choice overload

Choice overload is a cognitive process in which people begin to have a strenuous time making decisions since they have so many options. Similar to the modern day swipe left/right addiction, choice overload is a dangerous function that blurs our ability to see clearly and think comprehensively when forming final decisions.   

OPINION

BOZTEPE: Others are not focused on you

How often have you had these questions pop up in your mind: “If I stand up now and leave the room to call my doctor will the professor hate me?”, “is everyone looking at me right now?”, “was my question stupid?” and the list is endless.  

OPINION

BOZTEPE: Students must support faculty, graduate union

Last week I was part of my first rally, which as most of you know, was for the lack of equal pay for Rutgers professors on all campuses, low wages, scheduling restrictions, inequality based on gender and a lack of diversity among hired professors. Luckily, the professors have reached an agreement as of right now, but the same cannot be said for multiple facets of the University, such as the teaching assistants, part-time lecturers (PTLs) and graduate students who make up approximately 30% of the professors that teach the students. 

OPINION

BOZTEPE: Brain plasticity allows for personal growth

Your brain has the power to consistently grow. While the brain is not actually made of plastic, neuroplasticity means that the brain has the capability to change and grow throughout life experience. Plasticity is the capacity of the brain changing with constant education and we as humans, are far from reaching our potentials, so the growth is seemingly endless. 

OPINION

BOZTEPE: We can take easy steps to improve our focus

Focus: the word you repeat to yourself as you feel like you are dozing off while trying to complete your work. According to a study by Microsoft, “The average human has an 8-second attention span — less than that of a goldfish.” There are plenty of reasons why we have such a low attention span, some of which include the multiple facets of your job or school, the advancement of technology and the growth of social media. 

OPINION

BOZTEPE: Cost of coal is not as cheap as we are told

Coal is apparently the nonrenewable resource that is the future of our energy as stated by the current presidential administration. Strictly “clean” coal, whatever that is supposed to be, seeing as though it can never be clean. In response to that ill-formed decision with no true explanation, I would like to write about the additional costs of coal that are not visible at first glance, along with showing the harmful effects of a resource that we should be leaning off of as a nation. 

OPINION

BOZTEPE: To progress, we must question our nature

Modern humans, Homo sapiens, have only been around for approximately 200,000 years to our knowledge. Within that small smidge of time, humans have evolved into technologically advanced, emotional, social and creative creatures who have self-awareness and reasoning capacity. 

More Articles