Neil P. Kypers

Recent Articles:

NEWS

Health care laws up cost of tuition

Although some students expect to see an increase in their tuition for next school year — what they may not be expecting is an increase to a cost of their University-provided health insurance.

NEWS

Moody's says task force report can help credit

The New Jersey Higher Education Task Force report may benefit the credit ratings of the state's public colleges and universities if its recommendations are adopted, according to a report by Moody's Investors Services, a respected credit-rating agency.

NEWS

Long hair, don't care

To all the disappointed readers expecting an ode, I offer my deepest condolences. Upon reflection, I realized the only reason I wanted to write this send-off as an ode in iambic pentameter was due to denial — denial that my last days were approaching, a reality I didn't want to face and I still don't. I am writing this now because a columnist fell out, but I am not sure I would be ready to do it tomorrow or a week from now.

NEWS

Combat your messy roommates

I took my first official visit to Hurtado Health Center on the College Avenue campus yesterday in all my four years at the University. I have visited University health care facilities very infrequently; I could count them on my hand I am sure. Yet this trip was reminiscent of one of my childhood tales, the one where the mouse takes the thorn from the paw of a lion. I happen to be the lion in this story. The mouse was a very nice nurse who dug the piece of glass from my foot. The very small piece of glass lodged in my foot for the past four days caused me great discomfort and sometimes pain. There is nothing more frustrating than having to go to a doctor and waste their time and tools on something that could have easily been prevented. I would like to say that every person at Hurtado who helped me was wonderful and that they do a fantastic job.

Rutgers University Student Assembly University Affairs Chair
Kristen Clarke presents the results of 'What's on your mind week'
last night at the Student Activities Center.
NEWS

RUSA reports student issues to U. officials

Students, administrators, faculty and the media filled the Raritan River Lounge at the Students Activities Center on the College Avenue Campus last night to hear the results of "What's on your mind week" and address the administration.

University President Richard L. McCormick discusses a $1 billion
fundraiser that will launch Oct. 13 to generate more revenue,
called 'Our Rutgers, Our Future.'
NEWS

Protest leads to call for resignation

A dramatic walkout during University President Richard L. McCormick's eighth annual address to the University community led to calls for an apology or resignation of the Rutgers University Student Assembly parliamentarian.

NEWS

Vote for yourself, not for celebrities

Pop culture is destroying America. More and more the message to do something is being oriented around what a celebrity would want. One of the most memorable instances is the "Vote or Die!" campaign headed by Sean "P. Diddy" Combs and backed by a number of other celebrities, like 50 Cent. Vote or die echoes Patrick Henry and his famous "Give me liberty, or give me death" quote delivered to the Virginia House of Burgesses. Clearly the message has not changed, although Henry was supporting a war effort for our independence while P. Diddy is promoting civic involvement. So why is pop culture destroying America?

NEWS

Hipsters make me gaga

Has anyone noticed an increased amount of men wearing skinny jean cutoffs? I know I have. I believe this bold fashion statement must be attributed to the rise in the number of hipsters — I dislike hipsters. "The Hipster Handbook" by Robert Lanham defines a hipster as "one who possesses tastes, social attitudes and opinions deemed cool by the cool." The definition sarcastically continues, "Note: It is no longer recommended that one use the term "cool," a hipster would instead say ‘deck.'" The hipster walks among the masses in daily life but is not a part of them and shuns or reduces to kitsch anything held dear by the mainstream." I would like to dissect these two of the clauses of the definition.

NEWS

University community unite

Greetings, salutations and a resounding welcome back to school. It is the beginning of a new and exciting year at the University. It is my fifth year here and it is going to be the best and most exciting, I know it. There are so many changes happening that I hardly recognize the University as the school I applied to not that long ago. New buildings etch the skyline of New Brunswick, some have been torn down and new ones erected in their place, campuses that lacked an identity have transformed into popular student hang-out locations, yet one thing has not changed at all: People's desire to control where the money goes.

NEWS

Referendum passes thanks to you

After months of advertising and reaching out to as many organizations and students on campus as possible, The Daily Targum Referendum has finally reached its conclusion. The process, which provides the Targum with a mandate from the students to remain independently funded through student fees, ended successfully, passing in all polling divisions.

More Articles

Recent Media:

Junior center Monique Oliver paced the Scarlet Knights down low
in thier 73-70 victory against California, scoring 18 points and
hauling in nine boards. Oliver faces a Boston College frontcourt
tonight that matches evenly to the Knights in the post.
NEWS

Junior center Monique Oliver paced the Scarlet Knights down low in thier 73-70 victory against California, scoring 18 points and hauling in nine boards. Oliver faces a Boston College frontcourt tonight that matches evenly to the Knights in the post.

Senior forward Chelsey Lee, the Knights’ leading returning
rebounder, will miss the season after undergoing offseason shoulder
surgery.
NEWS

Senior forward Chelsey Lee, the Knights’ leading returning rebounder, will miss the season after undergoing offseason shoulder surgery.

Senior forward Chelsey Lee underwent offseason shoulder surgery
and will receive a medical redshirt. The injury leaves the Knights’
frontcourt hurting for depth.
NEWS

Senior forward Chelsey Lee underwent offseason shoulder surgery and will receive a medical redshirt. The injury leaves the Knights’ frontcourt hurting for depth.

Rutgers head men’s basketball coach Mike Rice said the team’s
goal this season is to post a winning record in the Big East.
NEWS

Rutgers head men’s basketball coach Mike Rice said the team’s goal this season is to post a winning record in the Big East.

Junior guard Khadijah Rushdan turned the ball over seven times
last night in the Scarlet Knights' second-round loss to'Texas
A&M. Rushdan and the rest of the offense struggled to support
April Sykes offensively, as only Erica Wheeler joined her in double
figures.
NEWS

Junior guard Khadijah Rushdan turned the ball over seven times last night in the Scarlet Knights' second-round loss to'Texas A&M. Rushdan and the rest of the offense struggled to support April Sykes offensively, as only Erica Wheeler joined her in double figures.

Texas A&M'center Danielle Adams led all scorers with 28
points and added 11 rebounds for a double-double effort.
NEWS

Texas A&M'center Danielle Adams led all scorers with 28 points and added 11 rebounds for a double-double effort.

Junior guard Nikki Speed dished four assists in 21 minutes.
NEWS

Head coach C. Vivian Stringer brings back her entire roster from
this season, including forward April'Sykes, the team's leading
scorer. Stringer also welcomes three of four incoming freshmen that
are ranked 93 or higher by ESPN.
NEWS

Head coach C. Vivian Stringer brings back her entire roster from this season, including forward April'Sykes, the team's leading scorer. Stringer also welcomes three of four incoming freshmen that are ranked 93 or higher by ESPN.

Junior forward April Sykes led the Scarlet Knights in scoring
with 21 points on 9-of-20 shooting from the field.
NEWS

Junior forward April Sykes led the Scarlet Knights in scoring with 21 points on 9-of-20 shooting from the field.

Khadijah Rushdan, left, and April'Sykes look on in the final
minutes last night, when Texas A&M'eliminated Rutgers from the
NCAA'Tournament.
NEWS

Khadijah Rushdan, left, and April'Sykes look on in the final minutes last night, when Texas A&M'eliminated Rutgers from the NCAA'Tournament.

Forward April'Sykes defends Louisiana Tech's Brietta Thomas.
Sykes led the Scarlet Knights with 33 minutes played.
NEWS

Forward April'Sykes defends Louisiana Tech's Brietta Thomas. Sykes led the Scarlet Knights with 33 minutes played.

Connecticut senior Maya Moore, the Big East's Player of the
Year, scored 22 points last night against the Knights' in the Big
East Tournament semifinals in Hartford, Conn., propelling No. 1
UConn to yet another finals appearance.
NEWS

Connecticut senior Maya Moore, the Big East's Player of the Year, scored 22 points last night against the Knights' in the Big East Tournament semifinals in Hartford, Conn., propelling No. 1 UConn to yet another finals appearance.

C. Vivian Stringer's team will likely enter the NCAA'Tournament
as a No. 8 or 9 seed after winning five of the past six games.
NEWS

C. Vivian Stringer's team will likely enter the NCAA'Tournament as a No. 8 or 9 seed after winning five of the past six games.

Sophomore center Monique Oliver and the Knights' lineup shot
only 36.4 percent from the field in their loss to No. 1 UConn.
NEWS

Sophomore center Monique Oliver and the Knights' lineup shot only 36.4 percent from the field in their loss to No. 1 UConn.

Senior forward Jonathan Mitchell and the Knights lost to North
Carolina in their last visit to Madison'Square Garden.
NEWS

Senior forward Jonathan Mitchell and the Knights lost to North Carolina in their last visit to Madison'Square Garden.

Senior guard Mike'Coburn took a feed from classmate James Beatty
with eight seconds left against Providence Saturday and earned a
trip to the free throw line with the Knights down two.
NEWS

Senior guard Mike'Coburn took a feed from classmate James Beatty with eight seconds left against Providence Saturday and earned a trip to the free throw line with the Knights down two.

Junior point guard Khadijah Rushdan, left, contributed 10 boards
yesterday to go along with eight assists against Marquette.
NEWS

Junior point guard Khadijah Rushdan, left, contributed 10 boards yesterday to go along with eight assists against Marquette.

Junior forward April'Sykes scored 16 second-half points against
Marquette yesterday in the quarterfinals of the Big East Tournament
at the XL'Center, giving the Starkville, Miss., native 22
double-figure efforts this season.
NEWS

Junior forward April'Sykes scored 16 second-half points against Marquette yesterday in the quarterfinals of the Big East Tournament at the XL'Center, giving the Starkville, Miss., native 22 double-figure efforts this season.

Sophomore center Monique Oliver contributed 18 points and seven
rebounds against'Marquette, sending the Knights into a semifinal
date tonight at 6 p.m. with Connecticut.
NEWS

Sophomore center Monique Oliver contributed 18 points and seven rebounds against'Marquette, sending the Knights into a semifinal date tonight at 6 p.m. with Connecticut.

Sophomore 133-pounder Matt Fusco, bottom, looks to earn an
automatic NCAA Tournament bid with a strong weekend.
NEWS

Sophomore 133-pounder Matt Fusco, bottom, looks to earn an automatic NCAA Tournament bid with a strong weekend.

More Media