T.J. Hitchings

Recent Articles:

OPINION

HITCHINGS: America’s sports stars could have been cast for roles in ‘Avengers’

Today, “Avengers: Endgame,” the culmination of more than a dozen movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, will hit theaters worldwide. Dedicated fans will see their favorite superheroes: Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and the Hulk, among others. They will take the fight to Thanos, a titan who has effectively knocked out half of the living creatures in the universe using the infinity stones.

OPINION

HITCHINGS: Virginia’s NCAA Title Win Ranks High Among Greatest Comebacks in Sports History

On Monday evening the University of Virginia (UVA) Cavaliers summited the highest mountain in college sports by winning a national basketball championship at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. They bested 67 other teams in the March Madness tournament, which started in mid-March, last defeating the Texas Tech Red Raiders 85-77 in overtime to bring home their first National Championship. That is where this Virginia team’s story ends, but its beginning is over a year ago, at a college basketball team's lowest point, in the last year tournament’s opening round. 

OPINION

HITCHINGS: Rutgers will have to meet high Big Ten Tournament expectations after last year

Next Wednesday, March 13, the 22nd rendition of the Big Ten Conference Men’s Basketball Tournament will tip off at the United Center in Chicago, Illinois. Rutgers will be there, as all teams in the conference qualify, but this year is different. This year is an opportunity more than ever to prove, on a national stage, that the Scarlet Knights not only belong in the Big Ten, but also have the talent to make a splash in the college basketball world.

OPINION

HITCHINGS: Greed outweighs love for game in sports

On Tuesday afternoon, Major League Baseball (MLB) insider Jeff Passan shook the world with the long-awaited announcement of show-stopping free agent infielder Manny Machado’s new contract. Ten years, $300 million to become the new shortstop for the San Diego Padres. Machado will go from making $16 million in 2018 to $30 million a year for the next decade. The deal is the largest ever signed by a free agent, but will likely be eclipsed in the coming weeks, as the free agency floodgates open up and the start of the season grows dangerously close.

OPINION

HITCHINGS: Outrage at NFL may bring about change

On Sunday, the New England Patriots claimed their sixth title under head coach Bill Belichick and 41-year-old quarterback Tom Brady, in a 13-3 win over the upstart Los Angeles Rams in Super Bowl LIII in Atlanta, Georgia. While the game remains the pinnacle of American sports celebration, the 2019 rendition left a lot to the imagination. Poor play on the field and poor management in the lead up to the game made the 2019 big game both the lowest-scoring in history, and the least-watched in a decade.

More Articles