Douglass founder leaves legacy of women’s education

Mabel Smith Douglass, whose tragic and mysterious death is marked 78 years ago today, helped to establish the University as a progressive institution by founding the state’s first all-women college on University grounds.

With her independent spirit and tenacious nature, Douglass founded the New Jersey College for Women in 1918 and served as its first dean for 25 years. The institution’s name changed to Douglass College to honor her in 1955, said Fernanda Perrone, archivist and exhibitions coordinator for University Special Collections.

“Her story is pretty influential on the experience of Douglass residential students,” said Kyrie Graziosi, president of the Douglass Governing Council.

The story of the founding of the New Jersey College for Women — now seen in its current form as Douglass Residential College — began in 1911, according to Douglass’s chronicles of its creation, “The Early History of New Jersey College for Women: Personal Recollections by Dean Douglass.”

Douglass at the time was president of the women’s College Club of Jersey City. The club attempted to start a college in New Jersey modeled after the seven sister universities — seven women’s liberal arts colleges in the Northeastern United States, which include Wellesley College and Vassar College, because many women began graduating high school.

There was not any real opposition in the 1910s to establishing a college for women and W.H. Faunce, then president of Brown University, agreed with the efforts of building a women’s college in Douglass’s memoir.

“Any state that has no college for women is sadly behind the age in which we live,” he said in the book.

Douglass said in her chronicles that the only difficulty was obtaining funds. She reached out to former President Woodrow Wilson, and the college received a land grant on behalf of both the state and federal governments. A few years, later the institution received funds for maintenance and buildings.

Douglass also mentioned how excited the incoming first-year students were for the opportunities they could create for themselves at a new college.

“Here was something where nothing was crystallized. There were no traditions, no customs, no college songs,” she wrote. “What a magnificent opportunity.”

Male professors and department heads at the all-male Rutgers College taught the incoming class, trekking a mile and a half to teach the female students until other professors were hired, according to the memoir.

But Douglass’s tenure as the dean was not without tension, and she had frequent conflicts with the staff, Perrone said.

“She and Emily Hickman, for whom Hickman Hall is named, didn’t get along,” she said. “Hickman was very independent, she was part of the peace movement. She was very active and their ideas conflicted.”

Historian George Schmidt said in his book, “Douglass College: A History,” that Hickman’s rise in the administration was halted by differences in opinion between her and Douglass. Hickman, who taught history, used unorthodox teaching methods, which stalled her career.

There were also incidents involving Lenore Loree and Douglass, where Loree apparently donated equipment and uniforms one year for a drum and bugle group. Douglass allowed the equipment and uniforms to be used for one ceremony but then had them hung up in the library.

Perrone said Douglass’ strong attitude developed because of her role as a founder and dean of a women’s college.

“She was dictatorial, but in her position she had to be,” she said.

Tom Frusciano, University archivist, said Douglass’s responsibility also influenced her personality.

“She had a lot of power. The college at the time was very independent,” he said. “She even had her own budget which was separate from Rutgers.”

Douglass died in the summer of 1933 when she took a boat out into the middle of Lake Placid in northern New York and was not seen again. The boat was found undamaged.

Her body was found 30 years later and buried in a family plot in Brooklyn, N.Y.

The coroner ruled her death accidental but many, including Perrone and Frusiciano, believe Douglass committed suicide.

Frusciano said although people knew Douglass was ill, they did not understand the impact it had on her life.

“People just didn’t know about mental illnesses back then,” he said.

Graziosi, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, said though her death was tragic, Douglass remains an inspiration for students.

“She is a source of pride,” Graziosi said. “And her life story conjures up a sense of responsibility.”

Correction: An earlier version of this article stated her death was 48, rather than 78, years ago today.