By Tabish Talib

Recent Articles:

NEWS

Website answers questions about on-campus life

From an informational blog to a website, three University students answer thousands of anonymous questions on topics ranging from New Brunswick student life to classes with a student-oriented perspective. Rutgerstips.com is a website designed to help current and prospective University students with questions they may have about student life or navigating the system, said Yvgeniy Demo, a School of Arts and Sciences junior.

NEWS

Professor analyzes euro’s effects on European Union

University of Washington political science Professor James Caporaso gave his prediction of the euro zone’s stability to an audience of mostly political science students yesterday during his visit to the campus. Speaking to about a dozen students and faculty at the Center for European Studies on Douglass campus, Caporaso said his prediction surprised him as well. “Two months ago, I would never have said that the euro could collapse, but now there is definitely a chance,” he said.

NEWS

Author discusses lasting outcomes of recession

College graduates of the millennial generation will experience the deepest impact of the United States’ recession, said Don Peck, features editor of The Atlantic Magazine. Peck spoke to about 40 University students and faculty about his book, “Pinched: How the Great Recession Has Narrowed Our Futures and What We Can Do About It,” last night in the John J. Heldrich Center for Workforce Development on Livingston Avenue.

Rev. Al Sharpton discusses the difference in police misconduct
among different communities in the city to an audience of 200 New
Brunswick residents last night at the Sharon Baptist Church.
NEWS

Al Sharpton calls for ACLU?investigation of Deloatch case

Civil rights activist Rev. Al Sharpton is using his prominence to work toward bringing the American Civil Liberties Union to New Brunswick to investigate the Sept. 22 shooting of Barry Deloatch. “We will do everything we can do to get them to review this case,” he said to a cheering crowd last night at a police brutality and street violence forum sponsored by the United Youth Council at the Sharon Baptist Church on Howard Street.

NEWS

Student volunteer makes difference at St. Peter’s hospital

Shereen Dahab, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, was able to combine her passion for volunteering with her interest in biological sciences while spending her Tuesday afternoons at Saint Peter’s University Hospital in New Brunswick. While Dahab was a senior in high school, her grandmother suffered a stroke and spent her recovery period at Overlook Medical Center in Summit, N.J. During this period, Dahab said her grandmother’s living conditions at the hospital were disappointing.

NEWS

Former marine attributes academic success to lessons learned in military

School of Arts and Sciences senior Teofilo Bodre, who carries a 3.9 GPA and works for the University’s Office of Veterans Services, said he owes his top-notch school performance to his lifestyle in the U.S. Marine Corps. Bodre, who enrolled at the University two years ago, believes many veterans do well in school because of their perception of “the mission,” which comes first, while troop welfare comes second.

SEBS Governing Council Treasurer Peter Canavan, left, and
President Zaid Abuhouran discuss endorsing a letter last night
calling for a U.S. Department of Justice investigation.
NEWS

Council supports police department review

The School of Biological and Environmental Sciences Governing Council supported a proposal to bring in the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate the conduct of the New Brunswick Police Department. The council unanimously passed a resolution to endorse a letter penned on Friday by community activist Walter Hudson and student leaders asking the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate the recent events surrounding the shooting of Barry Deloatch and other police misconduct.

Councilmember Elizabeth Garlatti and City Administrator Thomas
Loughlin listen to resident opinions on the police ordinance
Wednesday night at City Hall.
NEWS

Council rejects proposal for police residency requirement

Due to state regulation limits, the New Brunswick City Council said Wednesday that there could not be a residency requirement for hires to the New Brunswick Police Department. City residents advocated a police residency requirement after the Sept. 22 Barry Deloatch shooting, which would require police applicants to live in the community for three years before they could be hired.

NEWS

City council holds off decision on sidewalk biking ban

The New Brunswick City Council last night decided to wait before voting on an ordinance that would reinstitute a ban on sidewalk cycling, instead choosing to take a deeper look. In the mandate, cyclists are only allowed to ride on multi-use sidewalks on Rt. 18, Rt.1 and Rt. 27. The city’s ban on sidewalk bicycling existed since 1893 before it was eliminated last year after it was unknowingly revoked along with another ordinance regarding bike registration, said Bill Bray, city spokesman.

NEWS

Alliance works to expand Indian higher education

A new partnership between the University and the Tata Institute of Social Sciences in India aims to help more people in India gain access to higher education. The India Center for Sustainable Growth and Talent seeks to increase the availability of higher education in India to 20 percent of its population by 2020, said David Finegold, senior vice president for Lifelong Learning and Strategic Growth — the University counterpart of the joint initiative.

New Brunswick Mayor Jim Cahill, left, and City Council President
Robert Recine listen to resident concerns at an open forum last
night in City Hall on Bayard Street.
NEWS

Protesters find Mayor Cahill’s policy changes insufficient

New Brunswick residents chanted “No justice, no peace” at last night’s community forum after attendees found Mayor Jim Cahill’s response to the alleged shooting of Barry Deloatch and general police harassment unsatisfying. New Brunswick decided to call on Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office two weeks ago to look into the complaints filed with the New Brunswick Police Department after weeks of protests blocked traffic throughout the city.

Mark Bray, a member of Occupy Wall Street’s press working group
and a third-year Ph.D. student in history, speaks on the steps of
Brower Commons on the College Avenue campus to motivate students to
take action.
NEWS

Activists encourage students to ‘Occupy’

Instead of attending class in a traditional classroom, more than 50 students heard lectures on the steps of Brower Commons on the College Avenue from Occupy Wall Street “occupiers” and the impact of their social revolution. “Every significant social movement in our past redefined the political landscape,” said James Livingston, a professor of history and co-host of yesterday’s Occupy New Brunswick Teach-In.

NEWS

Business School aims to increase graduating class

The Rutgers Business School expects to graduate more students starting in fall 2013 in conjunction with the opening of a business school building on Livingston campus. “We had more than 400 seniors graduate this year, but we expect that number to more than double in a few years,” said Glenn Shafer, dean of the Rutgers Business School-Newark and New Brunswick. The building will be a counterpart of the business school building on the Newark campus, according to a University press release.

Rutgers United Students Against Sweatshops and Rutgers Student
Union members watch the national USAS conference via webcast.
NEWS

Students share tactics on creating change

Through a live webcast, the Rutgers United Students Against Sweatshops (USAS) and the Rutgers Student Union heard tips on how to foster social change from their colleagues across the nation. Attendees of last night’s “Take Back The Economy” event at 11 Stone St., watched the national USAS conference and discussed future tactics for raising awareness on issues.

NEWS

U. students participate in Wall Street protests

NEW YORK CITY — The New York City Police Department arrested more than 700 protesters at the Brooklyn Bridge as thousands marched on Saturday from Zuccotti Park in downtown Manhattan into Brooklyn as part of the “Occupy Wall Street” movement, which is now on Day 18. A handful of University students participated in the protests, including Rutgers University Student Assembly President Matt Cordeiro and RUSA representative to the University’s Board of Governors Kristen Clark. No University students were arrested.

NEWS

Companies use students to create brand loyalty

When walking around campus, it is not unusual to be approached by a promoter publicizing the latest deal to students. Many companies hire these brand ambassadors in order to foster brand loyalty. “Companies make an assumption about the future purchasing power of college students,” said Tammy Nelson, vice president of marketing and research at Re:Fuel, a marketing firm.

Members of the School of Environmental and Biological
Sciences?Governing Council meet?Residence Life administrators last
night in the Cook Campus Center about possibly bringing back
priority housing.
NEWS

Residence Life seeks council input on housing

Residence Life officials met with the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences (SEBS) Governing Council last night to discuss the future of housing for their constituents on Cook campus. Executive Director for Residence Life Joan Carbone discussed the possibility of reinstating priority housing for School of Environmental and Biological Science students, which was removed in 2007 after the consolidation of undergrduate colleges and the creation of the School of Arts and Sciences.

NEWS

Some question loss of campus-specific governing councils

One year after the elimination of campus-based governing councils, some student politicians are questioning the effectiveness of the new student governing system.The new system uses campus caucuses within the Rutgers University Student Assembly, in lieu of independent governing councils, as well as separate professional school councils.

More Articles