Douglass Career Conference draws upwards of 200 students

The day-long Douglass Residential College Career Conference took place in Sunday in the Douglass Student Center. The annual event included speakers, facilitated conversations and free food. – Photo by Henry Fowler

The Douglass Residential College held their annual "Career Conference" on Saturday at the Douglass Student Center.

Included in the day’s events were a gourmet lunch, a talk by the event's keynote speaker Candace Straight, executive producer of the Sony production “Equity” and a professional conversation about diversity and inclusion.

Leslie Danehy, the assistant dean and executive director of the Building Opportunities for Leadership and Development (BOLD) Center and organizer of the event, said that the conference was specifically designed to prepare students for their professional lives.

“Whether their path leads to graduate school, public service or the world of work, our annual career development day marks a key step,” she said. “We want the students to get a glimpse into various careers, ask questions and gain clarity about professional roles. They get to network and gain confidence as well.”

Danehy said this year’s event was successful because they had about 200 attendees, the speakers were great and the food was too.

The event allows students to receive professional advice, learn from others experiences and practice networking, she said.

“The BOLD Center at Douglass wants to help position students for success in work and life. This event inspires students and educates them on various career options,” Danehy said.

She said that she hopes students walked away from the event with new found confidence in themselves.

“I want them to have fun … it is Saturday after all,” Danehy said. “That’s why we had great raffles, great food and interesting speakers.”

Stephen Weiss is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in philosophy. He is an associate news editor for The Daily Targum.