WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | Feb. 17, 2017

MEETING ON MENTAL HEALTH

This week's Rutgers University Student Assembly meeting (RUSA) invited the Mental Health Taskforce to present proposals for improving and expanding treatment options on campus. The presentation involved finding ways to fight stigma against mental illnesses as well as brainstorming ideas on how to bring diversity to the counselors in programs such as the Center for Counseling, Alcohol and Other Drug Assistance Program and Psychiatric Services (CAPS). We laurel both organizations for bringing attention to such an important issue.

DON'T REPEAL DACA

There are 750,000 individuals in the United States who are under protection from deportation by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), and 450 of them attending Rutgers. Amongst these students, Josue Serrano is one that worries that the new White House administration will repeal DACA. The repeal of DACA would make it difficult for students like Serrano to work or even stay in the United States. We dart those in power who make students and other people feel unsafe in America.

CODING FOR HER

The Cook Student Center held more than 600 students during the third annual HackHers coding and development competition. The hackathon, which lasts 24 hours, is centered around women who want to be introduced to technology and coding. Some workshops for beginners were even held at the hackathon. We laurel HackHers for creating a fun and safe environment for women to be encouraged to get involved in coding competitions.

WATER — YOU WAITING FOR?

Rutgers Honors College students have gone two weeks without warm water in their building. The problem was due to two boilers experiencing mechanical and control issues, causing a shortage. Even after University Facilities officials addressed the issues, some students still experienced lukewarm or cold water. Many students have complained on Facebook groups. We dart University Facilities for not acting sooner and for not fully fixing the problem.

MAKE YOUR SPACE HERE

The Rutgers Makerspace is located on Livingston campus and is made to provide students with the tools, facilities and training to create projects. Tools for projects ranging from 3D printers to laser cutters are available for students. The space allows for students of different backgrounds and majors to work on projects. We laurel the Makespace for providing a space for students to work with their hands and be creative in a new environment.

BE STERN ON YOUR SISTER

Rutgers' Phi Sigma Sigma sorority has received negative attention recently because of a member's racially insensitive Instagram post. Amanda Slomkowski, who posted the photo, captioned a photo of her and two other members of her sorority: "I'm really not that pale, my roommates are just African." A screenshot of the post soon began circulating around Twitter after being posted by another Rutgers student. Slomkowski immediately apologized afterward and members of her sorority stated that they planned to include sensitivity and diversity. We dart Phi Sigma Sigma for not taking more serious actions against these insensitive actions.