Rutgers wrestler charged with aggravated assault

and 
In a follow-up to an earlier crime alert, RUPD reported that Brett A. Donner, a School of Arts and Sciences junior and competitor for the Rutgers wrestling team, was charged with aggravated assault. Rutgers.edu – Photo by The Daily Targum

A member of the Rutgers wrestling team has been charged with aggravated assault.   

Brett A. Donner, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, and competitor for the team’s 165 pound weight class, has been linked to an investigation launched by the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) earlier this month, according to a crime alert. 

On Sept. 4, RUPD issued a crime alert reporting on an aggravated assault, which was reported to have occurred on that day at approximately 1 a.m. on Easton Avenue near Courtland Street, according to the press release.

Yesterday, RUPD issued a follow-up crime alert stating that its investigation resulted in the identification and arrest of the suspect.

“Brett A. Donner, a 21-year-old resident of Wall, New Jersey, has been charged with aggravated assault,” according to the crime alert. 

The original crime alert issued by RUPD describes the suspect as a white male, approximately 5-feet-8-inches tall, in his early twenties, having a stocky build and wearing jean shorts with a white shirt.

It states the victims, who are not affiliated with Rutgers, reported being physically assaulted after a verbal altercation with an unknown male. No weapons were used in the incident and both victims sought medical treatment at a nearby hospital, according to the crime alert. 

"We are aware of the situation and gathering facts. We will have no further comment as this is a pending legal matter," said Kevin Lorincz, senior associate athletic director for communications.

The former Wall High School student  finished his four years of high school with a 97-6 career record, highlighted by his No. 14 national ranking in the 184-pound weight class, before coming to Rutgers.

After redshirting his freshman year, Donner returned for his sophomore season, making his debut on Nov. 11 at the 2017 Journeymen Northeast Duals against Oklahoma and Virginia in the 157 weight class.

Donner also finished in fifth place in both the "Shorty" Hitchcock Memorial Classic on Jan. 13 and the Black Knight Invitational on Nov. 19. He also saw action in a home dual against then-No. 7 Iowa on Dec. 8.