New Brunswick police report shooting on Neilson Street during day Monday

<p>The New Brunswick Police Department announced a shooting at approximately 1:00 pm yesterday.&nbsp;</p>

The New Brunswick Police Department announced a shooting at approximately 1:00 pm yesterday. 

Yesterday, a shooting at 61 Neilson St. in New Brunswick left a victim with a gunshot wound to the abdomen, according to a New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) news release.

New Brunswick police officers responded to a report of a possible shooting at approximately 1:15 p.m. An adult male victim was transported to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital for treatment, according to the release.

The investigation is ongoing, but preliminary results suggest that the victim was the intended target and the incident was unlikely to have been a random act of violence, according to the release.

The victim is not cooperating with investigators at this time, according to the release. Individuals with information are encouraged to contact the Criminal Investigation Division of the NBPD.

The incident, taking place a few blocks from the Douglass campus, occurred after a month with four University-wide crime alerts, The Daily Targum reported last week.