Rutgers wrestling looks ahead to tri-meet

No. 1 graduate student 141-pounder Sebastian Rivera is 2-0 on the season with two major decisions. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

After two losses to start the season, the Rutgers wrestling team will look to get into the win column at a tri-meet against No. 19 Purdue and No. 15 Minnesota on Sunday. The No. 20 Scarlet Knights (0-2, 0-2) previously lost to No. 2 Michigan and No. 11 Ohio State. 

Rutgers is 1 of 11 teams in the Big Ten that is ranked in the latest NWCA Coaches Poll. In a season with only in-conference meets, the Knights are scheduled to face off against seven ranked opponents.

No. 18 true freshman 184-pounder John Poznanski, who begins his college career after a 40-0 senior season at Colonia, has been recognized nationally early in his time on the Banks, being ranked as high as No. 12 by FloWrestling. Poznanski defeated the No. 8 wrestler in his weight class, which improved his collegiate record to 2-0. 

No. 1 graduate student 141-pounder Sebastian Rivera, who is spending his last year of eligibility with Rutgers after four years with Northwestern, is ranked No. 7 pound-for-pound, according to FloWrestling. He is also 2-0 on the season with two major decisions. 

Nine different Knights are ranked. 

Sophomore 174-pounder Jackson Turley started the season 0-1 and has provided Rutgers with its only pin of the season.

The match will begin at 10 a.m.

For updates on the Rutgers wrestling team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.