Katie Wingert, Mattie Boyd have been instrumental to Rutgers softball's growth

Graduate student catcher Katie Wingert and fifth-year pitcher Mattie Boyd have led the Rutgers softball team to success this season.  – Photo by Elliot Dong

The Rutgers softball team has faced many challenges over the years but under head coach Kristen Butler, the Scarlet Knights (29-19, 10-7) have pushed through. Graduate student catcher Katie Wingert and fifth-year pitcher Mattie Boyd have been instrumental in the recent growth of Rutgers and are both having impressive 2024 seasons.

Wingert is in her sixth year as a Knight and has found tremendous success on the Banks. Wingert's name will go down in Rutgers history, as she has a program-leading 41 home runs and is also currently tied for most career runs batted in (RBI) with program legend Sharon Morris.

"I really try to not focus on the records. I just wanna trust the work that I put into it," Wingert said. "So I just try and take it game by game, pitch by pitch, really not worrying about the record. If they come they come, if not, the wins right now are more important for the team."

Wingert is a leader for the team, using her experience to help others improve and grow.

Like Wingert, Boyd has been a key piece of the team this season. The right-handed pitcher has made an impact in just her first season on the Banks after transferring from Houston. Before joining the Knights, Boyd struggled with performance anxiety but has since gotten over it and learned how to not let it affect her.

"The biggest difference in the years that I had prior has just been, I guess, this overwhelming peace that I have now when playing, and that has purely come from my own growth and my faith," Boyd said.

With her new outlook and support from Butler and her teammates, Boyd has dominated in the circle. Boyd's 2.23 earned run average is the fourth-best in the Big Ten. Boyd has also thrown 134 strikeouts and owns a 17-7 record.

The work and dedication from Wingert and Boyd will help Rutgers down the stretch of its season and in postseason play. The Knights have won 4 of their 6 Big Ten series' and are full of momentum with two final series' before the Big Ten Tournament in May.

"This has been a build up of multiple years," Wingert said. "To kind of see the girls and our team get the recognition that they've been working so hard for for so long, that's just really fulfilling to see."

For more updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Allison Girardi's work, follow @allisongirardii on X.